WD HD seems ready to go...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 24Peter, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24Peter

24Peter Registered Member

I've got a 120GB WD hard drive (my boot drive Win XP) that has been making a high-pitched whinning sound for a few days now so I am assuming there is a bearing or some other problem imminent. I want to clone the drive contents to a second identical HD (currently a slave, used for data only) and then swap out the problem drive and either hope WD will replace it under warranty or just trash it.

I've been doing some on-line research regarding imaging software since I've never used it before and it looks like I'll be downloading and installing TI9 tomorrow (the problem disk is in my desktop machine - I'm using my laptop for research since I figure the less I use my desktop the better.) I'm interested in an exact clone of the problem disk - don't want to resize partitions or anything like. I already have a separate backup of my data files on DVD but would like to include everything that's currently on the problem disk on the new one (it's roughly 100GB in two partitions - c: operating system and applications; d: data (My Documents, etc.)).

So... I've read the TI9 user manual and been poking around online. I think I know how to do it. Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for?

2. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Well not trying to be funny, but the main thing I would be looking out for would be v.9 of TI. :)

3. 24Peter

I'm not sure I follow. Is there a problem with v.9?
    (20 minutes later...) hmmm, after reading some more of the threads on this forum, it would seem so. Wonder if I can find a place to download v.8?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  4. mildewman

mildewman Guest

Acronis TI Version8 is available at some retailers - online and iin store... Check Fry's Electronics (Outpost.com online), CompUSA, and Newegg.com... Newegg has a downloadable version of TI 8 for about $30, and a retail version for about $37.

5. 24Peter

Looks like newegg is only selling v.9 as a download (v.8 still available in box.) Does anyone know if the trial download of v.9 from Acronis is fully functional? (Or is it dumbed down - specifically wondering about the clone function.)

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 24Peter,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

1. Please note that the only difference between full and trial versions of Acronis True Image 9.0 is that you will not be able to create an image archive running the trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 from bootable rescue mode, but you can still create an image archive in Windows.

2. I would also like to suggest you the following:

- Check each partition of the source hard drive by Windows utility prior to creating an image or cloning this drive:

For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

- Unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. 24Peter

Hi Alexey - thank you for the prompt reply. Not to be overly whatever, but I assume I shut down the computer before unplugging the old drive? In other words, the clone process finishes, I shut down the computer, remove the bad drive, move the cloned drive to the master position on the IDE cable and then reboot. Or is it prior to shutting down that I pull the plug? (Dangerous no?)

8. Allen L.

Don't ever attempt to unplug anything but a USB device when there is power to the computer. Your first statement you made above is the correct way. Shut down after the clone is complete and then swap the drives around from a powered off, and unplugged (from electrical outlet) machine.

...Allen

9. 24Peter

Thank you Allen. Had I done it the wrong way I might end up looking like one of these: :'(

Well I'm gonna jump in later this morning with the trial version of TI 9 and see how far I get.

10. 24Peter

Well I am happy to report that I am writing this email from my freshly cloned TI v.9 hard drive. It booted fine and appears to be working normally. I haven't test all the applications, but so far so good. I'll post back later today with any updates.

11. Allen L.

If it booted your home free! Everything will be there and all is fine. If it didn't boot, well that's a little different story. :)

Good Luck,

...Allen

12. 24Peter

Thanks Allen. Trial download worked like a charm. And I found out today that even though the other hard drive is 3 years old, it's still under warranty. Be getting a replacement from Western Digital for free. Free download, free hard drive and a working computer. Life is good...:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.