Wait I thought TDS3 should scan through mulltiple rars

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by tempnexus, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

I recall long time ago one of the selling points was to take a trojan and pack it, zip it rar it and use TDS-3 and it will still find it. I just discovered that it's not true. I have X-rat and delerium of disorder which are ziped and then rared and when I scan them through right click context menu I had nothing. When I unpack them and just scan the first packed file I get positive ID. So this means that I can double pack a trojan and it will evade TDS-3?

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

And what use would it be ? The file still needs to be extracted before it will be run. The same goes for many scanners, TDS-4 will probably scan only a few layers deep to avoid ZIP exploits wasting processing power. By this I mean a 40kb zip file which actually contains many many layers of zips inside zips, and faked 4GB files in each of the last level of zips - 4GB files which are actually 0 bytes. A scanner which tried to scan all of these would go on nearly forever :)

3. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

Ok does the same goes for exec packers? If I triple pack an exec with different packers will TDS-3 still detect via right click context menu? How about if I placed the triple exec packed exec into an zip or rar or what have you and try to scan that?
    Just wondering.

4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Those cases i think are when someone aims you in particular and forges a nasty thing for you.
    All In The Wild trojans, packed or not, will be detected by TDS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.