w95 shutdown problems with NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by DonSata, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonSata

DonSata Registered Member

hi everyone,

Recently I was installing NOD32 v2.5 in 80 PC's, but 30 PC's are running windows 95. This machines have this OS due Microsoft Licences, so customer don't wanna change at all.
    The problem is when NOD32 is resident, PC never gets shutdown. It hangs at "Please wait while closing Windows" screen.

I know these are dinosaurs but "customer has the reason *always*".
    PC's have Intel PII 233MHz, 128MB RAM, HD 20GB, ATX

I changed it with "You can turn off PC now" black screen, and inserted AutoScan=0 in msdos.sys too, but this is a joke, not a real solution. Customer wanna see their PCs turn off automatically like others without NOD32 installed.

Please, give some clues to resolve this. Thanks a lot!.

PD: I have tried everything about ATX, disabling IRQ's, editing registry, modifying System Properties, APM, but it doesn't work. Any kind of resident malwares are discarded. Tests was done on 3 PC's with w95 installed from scratch.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Wow...Windows 95...can't remember the last time I sat down at a 95 box.

Hmmm...common causes of hanging shutdown in 95...was network card drivers. I'd try getting the latest drivers for the NIC...and also getting the latest TCP stack installed...by downloading and installing DUN 1.4

Ugh you're stuck servicing 30+ of these? Hope you're doubling your rates.

3. DonSata

DonSata Registered Member

Thanks for your answer. In this case, when I uninstall NOD32, the computer turns off normally. As a test, with NOD32 installed, I used SoftIce to see the hanging loop. If manually I exit routine, PC turns off.
    This can be a problem of NOD32 Control Center closing?

I'll try installing DUN too, thanks again.

Tony

4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi DonSata,
    Welcome to Wilders.
    I believe YeOldeStonecat is on the right track with his suggestion.
    You mention wanting these boxes to turn themselves off like others without NOD32 installed - It has been my experience that with Windows 95 on a network 80% or more of systems will not turn themselves off regardless, with or without NOD32 installed so if they all were before then you were way above average but that doesn't make it normal. Remember that just because your issue doesn't appear until you installed NOD32, that doesn't make NOD32 the culprit. I've seen massive amounts of Windows 98 boxes with the same issue as soon as they get networked if that's any consolation. I've even seen the odd XP system that does almost the same thing every once in a while - at least with XP it normally works :)
    If you have no improvement with what YeOldeStonecat has suggested, I'd be interested to hear if it makes any difference with half the RAM - 64MB. It's just a thought.
    Or a logoff script so you can take better control of the shutdown process. Have it kill any user interfaces first, then a couple of seconds pause before exiting.

HTH

Cheers :)

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's a general problem of Win95, unmapping network drives before shutdown should do the trick.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

Win98, on top of a similar issue due to NIC drivers, also had a separate issue in 98 first edition..where if you had mapped network drives, it would hang on shutdown. Microsoft released a fix for that also. Was not an issue with 98se.

Win9X in general was also touchy about NICs and IRQs...the preferred PCI slot was slot 2....you wanted to stay away from using the top PCI slot because that "usually" shared an IRQ with your AGP video card. Also if you had an old motherboard with ISA slots..the bottom PCI slot usually shared IRQs with ISA devices. 3COM and Intel used to recommend the 2nd PCI slot.

Also, based on the age of these systems (Win95)..I'll bet a pint of Guinness you're also using Office 97? If so...you'll have 3x things in your Startup Folder..2x of which you'll want to get rid of...osa.exe and findfast.exe. Findfast was expecially evil. It's basically a quick search indexer for Office...scouring ALL drive letters for Office files so you can find them faster. (hence the name..har har). It was the cause of many problems. Go into control panel..disable findfast..then remove it from the startup folder.

Link to DUN 1.4
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q285189

Hopefully these are Tier-1 machines...so working on them will be easy when rebuilding networking components, as it'll look for the CABS files..usually in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. If you have cloner builts...yuck, good luck, ..you can hope whoever built them had a partial clue and copied the cabs off the install CD.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Follow the advice given by others but if I were you I would never sell NOD32 for Windows 95 computer since it is too old and noone can support Win 95 . You cannot get acurate support of such an old machine ;)

8. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

So what are you saying? Because you have Win95 you should not have the best available protection ?? !! I don't know who you represent exactly, but you don't speak for me.

Actually NOD32 works great and is supported - even on Windows 95. Regardless of the cause, there are people who are glad to try and help when it asked for.

Cheers :)

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Don't take it personal and don't take it in a wrong way. I mean that I wouldn't sell NOD32 for Windows 95 because as we all know this is 11-years-old operating system , it is vulnerable , it is useless and it is ^nothing^ .Microsoft is not supporting it at all !
    Hey , Vista is coming , why do we talk about Win 95 at all . The problem is that I would insist on changing the OS with newer one - Windows 2000 (if possible) or the best Windows XP .

That's it . Have never tried NOD32 on Windows 95 but I prefer not to do it since it is so old OS . Well , 98 is acceptable but not 95 ,IMO :)

Best wishes :D

[MOVE]NOD32[/MOVE]

10. zashita

zashita Registered Member

As stated in the first post ...

So the customer don't want to change ... as simple as that.
    What to sell to him if not NOD32 ? :) I'd prefer have NOD in those machines than something else ... or nothing.
    And just my 0.022$ ... how many antiviruses can still run on such computers ? Not a lot I guess ... :D

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Supporting Microsoft Windows 95 can present VARs with some challenges due to the lack of support these days from both Microsoft and other vendors (both hardware and software), but here are a few things you can try which may help.

First, start with a fresh system to ensure the problem isn't one caused by leftover applications or software:

1. Take one of the customer's spare PCs they run Microsoft Windows 95 on, update the motherboard's BIOS to the latest version available, along with the BIOS (firmware) for any other devices which can be updated.
    2. Erase the hard disk drive so you can start with a clean system.
    3. Install all of the Microsoft Windows 95 Updates from Microsoft's web site.
    4. Perform a clean installation of the operating system, followed by installing the latest device drivers for the various hardware components in the computer.
    5. Install and update all of the applications used by the customer.
    This computer will serve as the test platform. Once the computer has been verified as operational/usable by the customer, go ahead and install NOD32 and allow it to update.

Does the computer shutdown correctly, or does it appear to hang on shutdown?

If the computer does not shut down correctly, try disabling the check of the floppy diskette drive for viruses on shutdown:

1. Open the NOD32 Control Center (filename: NOD32KRN.EXE) and select AMON from the list of Threat Protection Modules. The AMON - File System Monitor window will appear.
    2. Click on the Setup button. The AMON - Setup window will appear.
    3. In the AMON - Setup window, go to the Scan boot sectors on… option and disable (un-check) the Shutdown option. Click on the OK button to apply the change.
    Does the computer now shut down properly?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

13. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Looking at the manual, I find this item:

AMON --> Security --> Load file system dynamically

14. dandv

dandv Registered Member

This seems to have worked on Windows 98 and on Windows 95. The Win98 system was sharing a drive mapped from the Windows 95 system, and shutting them down worked OK, just as before installing NOD32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.