vpn flash security

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ejonesss, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejonesss

ejonesss Registered Member

i was wondering can a flash based site get my real ip address despite closing the dns leak and use of a pptp vpn?

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Good question. Flash in the TBB is discouraged, but I don't know if VPN use is different, since all outbound traffic goes through the tunnel. Querying the router could be a way maybe, but it should be password protected with *other* than the mfg. defaults.

I would be more worried about using the extremely broken PPTP

PD

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yes, I agree with PaulyDefran. Avoid PPTP. It's not secure.

Properly set up OpenVPN-based VPN connections, protected by outbound NAT routing and firewall rules, will leak nothing, even if the VPN disconnects.

However, if you download anything that accesses the Internet when it's opened/executed, you must only open/execute it when you're using the VPN.

If you're infected by malware that does that, you could be compromised without knowing it. That's one advantage to using independent router VMs for connecting VPNs and/or Tor. Whenever you start your workstation VM, its Internet connectivity is already set up as intended.

4. To be honest you want to avoid Flash, Silverlight, Java & Javascript.:cool:

5. ejonesss

ejonesss Registered Member

i have a dedicated system i use for anything i need to use flash for.

it has a vpn connected via ipredator (tpb's vpn using pptp).

flash cookies deleted before visiting any sites that could have flash with some code embedded that could trace the ip.

i wanted to know if it can go back up the line further and get past the vpn servers

using kim.com's new server mega a privacy oriented service.

most of mega is non flash except for the download and upload pages.

i am worried that them having busted last year they may have come back as a honeypot.

i like the vpn because i dont want anything that requires software to run like most other privacy sites use.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.