Vmware

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nixie21, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Can someone please explain or point me to a thread that explains vmware, and how to use it and intall a OS on it?

Thanks so much!

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Nixie

This might sound trite, but once you install the VMware software, you create a machine, how much memory, how many and how big the hard disks are. Then you install windows just like you would with any computer. once running you install anything you want.

You use it just like any computer. Why. Well for example I wanted to experiment with some partitioning stuff, screwing up the disks, and testing various restore scenario's. You can do all this in a VM machine.

Pete

3. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

or for instance running Windows (and those aps you cant live without) on Linux

Mrkvonic's Tutorial

4. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Thanks, this is exactly what I want..I will need to look into it. So I can restore my acronis image to this? Or i can install windows vista...

thanks

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Restoring your image into the VM might be dodgy. Different device drivers etc. Windows Vista is unofficial in VM Ware 5.5, but in 6.0 which is in beta it will be officially supported.

Don't forget licensing issues. You are essentially setting up a 2nd machine and your main license may not activate.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.