VLC 0.9.6 for Windows released!!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HAN, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

What are the new features?

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Pedro, han, been a big fan of the portable version for a long time.

Recently however, had problems trying to play a folder of VOB files from dvd shrink. It allowed me to watch 'one episode' of a disc, but not skip to the next episode. Kept replaying the first episode.

Only in the new version I've had this problem, and also that the mouse wouldn't allow me to access/click on certain menu parts. Few others have mentioned problems with this new portable version on portableapps.

Anyway, searched around and found SMPlayer which allows me to access each episode (titles). Open source, and I think it's as good as VLC. If anyone else has problems, you might like the following:

Home page (includes portable version): http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/index.php?tr_lang=en
    Also listed on portable freeware site.

Attached Files:

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

After messing around with the Windows version of 0.9.6 a bit, I'm not happy. It's not playing individual FLV files like 0.9.4 (0.9.6 crashes) and it won't play added folders of FLV/MPG/AVI either.

Videolan had advertised for someone to work on, debug, etc., the Windows builds with them. Apparently, this situation isn't solved yet because this build has problems making it unusable.

Although builds prior to 0.9.6 have security issues (which is why I was wanting to update), at least they work. I'm withdrawing my endorsement of 0.9.6... :(

7. Saraceno

8. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

9. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

This version won't let me watch videos. I try to play one and it crashes. :(

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

They should put up a website, just running software out of a forum seems so 3rd world to me.

I'd never use that program, if they can't handle putting up a website to market a program properly then it's not worth the time to bother with, and if they can't understand this, well, don't know what to say...

11. Saraceno

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

13. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I gave KMPlayer and SMPlayer a test.

KMP would not play one of my WMV files. The video stuck but the progress bar kept moving. So thumbs down to it.

SMP worked pretty well. It played everything I tried it on except CDs. (It's my understanding that mplayer (SMP's underlying engine) won't play them in Windows.) Plus, SMP apparently won't play DVD menus. But overall, not bad.

VLC 0.9.6 for Windows is causing issues for many users. My opinion is to stay away until a new version is released. (I had no idea it would be such garbage until I had already posted this thread. :( )

**EDIT**
    Apparently, a nightly build of VLC 0.9.7 fixes the FLV issue. I plan to wait until a final build is released before I try it. :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  14. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

VLC Player is not really a good media player. At least for me. I watch lots of fansubs, and it hasn't been able to keep up with some of the newer formats (Matroska, in particular). After Zoom Player/Media Player Classic, MPlayer is the next best media player, IMHO.

15. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Just for the record, I don't have the FLV issue you mention here on Vista32.

All videos I tried so far (though I didn't try MKV) play nicely.
    BTW, cheater, happy birthday! :)

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

17. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I'll wait for the new version then. Thanks Seer :) Turning 21 feels great. :)

18. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Yes, I know the feeling. I will be turning 21 in a couple of years - for the second time lol.

Take it easy with booze and such...

Cheers,

19. HAN

HAN Registered Member

VLC 0.9.6 for Windows has been re-released. The FLV video playback issue has been fixed. You just need to download again and re-install. See this page for the news...
    http://www.videolan.org/

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey everyone,
    This new vlc player is great. it no longer crashes when adding large amounts of music to a playlist. Plus now the playlist section has a search.
    so I can add my music folder and just search for what i want.

Recently I have been trying to use application that work on multiple platforms aka windows,linux,freebsd etc.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.