Vista - User Access Control

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by C.S.J, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok,

i cant modify files with UAC turned on, even though im on an administrator account.

when i turn off UAC, i constantly have a red cross saying my security is low, how can i get rid of this cross?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Just in case you didn't buy a new computer with Vista pre-installed but upgraded from XP, I'd really like to know: If you don't know how to use UAC and if you even disabled it thus getting rid of one of the most important security features in Vista - why on earth did you bother installing this new OS? If you're intending to cripple Vista by disabling improvements that make real sense you wasted your money.

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I cant speak for C.S.J. but many of us have been using apps, for years, that do the same job (and more) as the extremely annoying UAC does.
    Security and windows has never been anything I have trusted and I have always relied on third party solutions. So for some of us UAC doesnt bring anything new from a security point of view, we where safe before Vista.
    UAC is not the only reason someone would want to change to Vista o_O

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Security isn't just using some tools but rather a concept. A cornerstone of such a concept is using the security features offered by the OS itself, especially working under a limited user account. UAC makes that easier and considerably more comfortable than ever on a Windows machine. This doesn't mean that 3rd party tools can't provide additional security - but you don't have to rely on them as your sole security wall any more. They are just another piece of software, after all, with all kind of possible bugs, let alone the handling errors.

This is simply not true for the vast majority of the Windows users who have not been able or willing to use a limited account. Now Vista makes that very easy, so there is no excuse any more for not doing it except for stubborn "tools junkies". UAC is indeed nothing new for those of us who are used to a limited account on Windows XP.

So you should be consequent and switch to Mac or Linux! But I'm absolutely sure that you would permanently use your root account even on a Linux machine - there are so many nice security tools after all ...:D:D:D

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its a legit vista HP, from dell.

fresh install, no upgrade.

UAC stops me modifying things, i have to disable it to do certain things, but enable it just for security sake after that.

the pop ups, are too frequent and annoying, but still ... i leave it on.

----------
    cheers for the replies trying to help me out ;)
    and ty for the PM Alphalutra1

7. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

I have mine disable, like allot people here I know what I’m doing, I have to agree it is really annoying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.