Vista Trusted Installer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

This Trusted Installer is so MS.........most of the time we have no idea what it is doing ...what it is installing...it turns on when it wants to.....what are some of you doing with it....allowing or not o_O

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have been letting it run it's course though it is aggravating with the high CPU usage. Most of the time when I see it is after a program install/uninstall. I am not sure what it is actually for except it is part of the "service hardening" of Vista. Here are a couple of links that kind of explain it (though a lot of it goes over my head).

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/06/ACL/default.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/01/SecurityWatch/

I have seen a lot of posts complaining about TI.exe using as much as 100% at times. On my machine I have yet to see it go over 50%. Hopefully it will be fixed in SP1.

3. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Thanks midway..none of those articles showed up during my web search...good reads

4. midway40

You're welcome :)

You notice that it gives the Trusted Installer service a name, Windows Modules Installer, which means you can disable it. But I do not know the consequences of doing so and my computer is running too good for me to try it out, lol.

5. midway40

I just found this on a Vista tweak site. It says you can disable it but I am confused about the consequences. The description says that it is not needed by Windows Update but the service description states: "If this service is disabled, you may not be able to install or uninstall Windows updates."

I think I will just let sleeping dogs lie, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.