Vista OEM

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rendez2k, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

As part of a deal to keep me sweet from my local computer shop after some issues with my new PC, they are going to offer me Vista at cost price. I can have either the OEM version of Home Premium or Ultimate.

1. Whats the deal with the OEM version vs retail (apart from being about 1/3 price for Ultimate). Can it be installed more than once for instance and is it supported as per retail? Are there any downsides?

2. Is there any major difference with the Ultimate version for the extra price (I'm guessing it will be about £50 extra)

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

OEM versions mean it is tied to one computer and cannot be transfered (legally) so if say for example your had to get the motherboard replaced to a similar one to the current one then you would have to ring up MS.
    unless you need to connect to a domain then get home premium.
    mainly vista home premium is for home users.
    vista business is for business.
    vista ultimate=home premium+business.
    so unless you use the computer for both work and home use get home premium.
    hope this helps.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Also OEM versions aren't supported by Microsoft, but by the dealer you purchase from.

4. rendez2k

But I can still update etc? Is OEM not the way to go then? I can't imagine my local PC shop being much help in supporting Vista, but then I've only had to ring MS with XP due to activation issues.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have always had oem versions of microsoft OS's and had no issues.
    if i was you i would get the oem version but try to wait till sp1 comes out which is sometime this month. may as well install sp1 first then your apps.

6. rendez2k

And can both Home and Ultimate OEM install as an upgrade to XP or does it have to be a clean install?

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

not sure but i would reccomend a clean install followed by installing service pack 1 first.
    clean installs are always better.

8. rendez2k

Well, looks like due to further mess ups I'm actually getting Vista Ultimate for free! So, whats the best way to install it alongside XP (ideally on the same HDD) - I'm thinking either FD-ISR or something like Acronis OS selector?

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well since windows xp is installed first when you install vista windows xp will appear on the boot menu as "an older version of windows" so you dont need any tools.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.