Vista Firewall Control

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bamaman66, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamaman66

bamaman66 Registered Member

How do you add a program if you want to allow it to access the internet? There is a tab "new" but I didn't see how one would add a program.

2. evilharp

evilharp Registered Member

There are 2 methods for doing this:

1) Go to the control panel. Double click on "Windows Firewall", and click on "Allow a program though Windows Firewall" (its on the left panel). This will open the Windows Firewall settings dialog. You can now add Programs and Ports to the "Exceptions" list. However, I advise against this method as there are no specific rules in place.

2) Advance Method using "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security"

Using run enter "MMC" this will open the "Microsoft Management Console"
    Under "File" select "Add/Remove Snap-in".
    Select "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" in the dialog to Add. On the pop-up select to run on "Local Computer". Click OK.
    Now Save the console.
    With the advanced rules you can create specific rules by application/port etc..

Here are some links detailing how to use this Advanced interface:

Using the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in
    Introduction to Windows Firewall with Advanced Security (<== downloadable document)

The advanced firewall is pretty good, but it has no learning mode at all (ie. no prompts when programs are trying to access the web). Just a tip, if you have an AV with Web Scanning (i.e. KAV6) make sure you give it access or nothing will access the web.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.