Vista 32 bit vs 64 bit questions!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So I've had this Acer cheapo notebook for over a year now. It has an AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-58 Proccessor with 2GB of RAM and Vista Home Premium . Does the "64" mean it can run Vista 64 operating system? If this is the case, how would I go about moving to Vista 64? If it could be done, I'd have to re-install/change all my apps to 64, which would be a pain! According to my MemInfo app, I never, never, ever even come close to using 50% of the 2GB of RAM. If it was running 64, it would take advatage of the 2Gs, correct? Thank You!

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    32bit vista will use the 2gb when its needed.

32bit operating system limit is 4gb

unless you are planning on having 4gb ram or more you may as well save the hassle and keep using 32bit vista.

your processer is 64bit

most programs work on 64bit vista.
    you could always list the application that you use here so i could tell you if they work on 64bit or not.

3. ratchet

Thanks for the reply lodore! Have no intentions of upgrading RAM so I'll put this to rest!

4. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Just a small note about 32bit programs on a 64bit OS. Vista 64bit runs 32bit programs through emulation and for now it is not very useful to most folks unless you have a lot of 64bit applications or use it for a business where most of the 64bit applications reside.

SourMilk out

5. ratchet

Ok, good to know!

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you don't need the extra RAM beyond about 3.5 gigs that x32 can use, then you probably don't really need x64. Some x64 apps are better performers and optimized for a 64 bit OS, but unless you really need it, it may not be worth all the extra effort it would take to switch over. I use Vista x64 and everything runs fine on it, both 32 and 64 bit apps, no problems at all, never ran into anything that wouldn't work. But if my PC came with Vista x32, then I don't think I'd bother switching unless there was a compelling reason to change.

7. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Have you even tried x64 Windows before saying out stuff like that?

8. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I have a Dell Studio XPS with Vista 64bit and a Dell XPS 630 with XP. I did not discover about 32bit emulation on the Vista 64bit by owning and operating the system but by reading up on Vista 64bit and how it works. I suggest you do the same.

SourMilk out

9. Arup

Arup Guest

I have been x64 since the day it was introduced, both in Windows world and Linux world and have never looked back ever since. I don't feel its justified to not use the power of x64 CPU, in that case its better to stick to x32 CPU as well. I have not had any software issues as such in Linux or Windows x64. Initially there were few drivers that didn't work under x64 Windows and in Linux, the issue was flash and Java, thankfully all are solved by now so you owe it to yourself to try out x64 OS if you have invested in x64 CPU>

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw you are entitled to install 64bit vista using the same license code as the 32bit version.
    you will just need to contact acer for the media.

11. yashau

yashau Registered Member

For your information I've been using x64 since early 2007.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

True, my Vista CD from Gateway comes with both versions on it, you can take your pick and install either one.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

in my case i had to pay for shipping for 64bit media.

14. richo

richo Registered Member

To be honest, the 32 v 64 debate is far overrated. Without a doubt, 64 bit is the future, but until there is full availability of 64 bit software, the benefits are marginal at best for the average user. I've actually "downgraded" my Vista64 to 32, and have found my laptop (HP DV5 Intel 2.53G dual core 4G ram) to be more stable. I also no longer have problems with DVD burning I was having with Vista64, which was probably a software compatibility issue. When most of the software I would use is available as 64bit I will consider trying Vista64 again. Till then I don't see the avantage.

15. wings

wings Registered Member

Just because YOU don't see any reason to switch, doesn't mean that others don't have one!

Take for example me, I run a large graphic design site and use programs like Photoshop and Cinema 4D, both available as 64 bit version.

Explain to me why my use of Vista X64 for this kind of software would be overrated?

First of all, 64 bit is by definition more stable than 32 bit since it has more registers available. If you had stability issues, then you should blame the driver manufacturer and not the 64 bit concept.

Second of all, software specifically written for 64 bit runs faster (if well written), although it differs for each 64 bit application.

Third, I can use the full 8GB of ram that I have installed on my system, with Vista x86 only about 3GB was available. Not only see I benefits of all that RAM in Photoshop and C4D, it also allows be to have more memory available when I run Vmware sessions, the extra 8GB also keeps my system fast if I have several large applications running and the extra RAM is all REALLY useful for when I edit videos in high resolution.

So, no... the use of Vista X64 for is not overrated for me and many others who work intensively with graphics and video, we don't run 64 bit just for the sake of it...sigh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.