Virus Report and System Restore

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by AnthonyG, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

i use windows XP and i was browsing google for mp3 sites (yes i know i shouldnt do it but there was a particular song i wanted) but i went to a site and as soon as the page opened my mcafee enterprise went crazy reporting trojans, dialers and viruses all on the one opening page. So this has got me concerned as people have told me unless i have misunderstood them that when your virus scanner popus up with a virus message that usually means that virus has already been backed up into your XP system restore.

So i am asking is there anyway i can deleate or clear out my system restore and start fresh with it. with no viruses in

Thanks for your help

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Anthony, ;)

To clear out your system restore ... Right-click on "My Computer", select Properties ... Select the "System Restore" Tab (Top Left) ... Check the Turn OFF System Restore on all Drives, Click "Apply" ... This will clear all your Restore Points ... But before you Re-Enable System Restore ... Run your AV and make sure there is no infection ... otherwise you will be re-recording it in the Restore Files. When this is compete ... Open up those properties again and Then UN-Check the Turn-Off box and "Apply" it ... This will reset system restore ... and create a new log.

HTH, ;)

Steve

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders, Anthony1uk. :)

To add to Dog's instructions, as a precaution (and also because this should be done periodically as computer maintenance) clear all the contents from your temp folders:

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\all your usernames\Local Settings\Temp, and select everything in that folder and delete it (but do not delete the temp folder itself).

Then, go to C:\windows\temp, and select everything in that folder for deletion - except the "temporary internet files folder", "cookies folder" and "history folder" (do not delete the temp folder itself).

Next, clear your IE's Temporary Internet Files:
    Open IE --> click on Tools --> Internet Options --> General Tab, and click the "Delete Files" button and put a check in the box "Delete all offline content". Click "OK" YOu can click the "Delete Cookies" button to clear those, and also the "History" button to clear the history cache.

Once you have scanned with your anti-virus and confirmed your system is clean, you can read through this link to learn more about how to tighten your security and prevent infection: Why did I get infected in the first place?

Regards,

snap

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  4. AnthonyG

Thank you very much for your help steve, can i ask just to be certain now that system restore its switched off and deleated is there any other places that may have backed up or stored the virus and trojan (such as windows or firefox temp or cache folders perhaps) i just want to make sure these viruses are gone for good.

Thanks

Edit: seems to have already been answered while i was typing the question, thanks snap dragon

5. dog

dog Guest

Snap answered that question above. ;) :D

To Add - For FireFox -> Tools --> Options, then select "Privacy" in the left pane ... and then "Clear" the cache (Bottom option)

Steve

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I won't get into a major discussion on this but I did want to let you know that if your mcafee 8.0i enterprise has all the patches and is up to date it will report on an infected page but it will not allow the infections to be loaded on your system. It might quarantine them if you have it set that way but they won't be loaded on your system. An enterprise antivirus suite such as mcafee 8.0i works a bit different than a home antivirus. It is a much deeper protection. Since you are running it you realize that it is much more expensive and available in a minimum of 25 seats at about $45.00 a seat.

7. AnthonyG

Thanks for the advice that has definitely reassured me, but dont worry about this as my university gave it to me for free.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I fully understand, Mine is through the repair shop I sold and it was a condition of the sale that I get the use of one. ;)

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.