Virus Bulletin Results/WIN XP/June 2006

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Blackcat, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Most AV's passed except;

Ahnlab V3Pro, Avast, F-Prot, QuickHeal, TrustPort, Vexira, ViRobot and VirusBuster.

Two AV's entered the test line-up for the first time this month: TrustPort Antivirus, which failed and Microsoft OneCare, which passed.

Igor Daniloff of Dr Web makes some comments about the test.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Isn't it odd that DrWeb guys all the sudden got big mouth and are commenting each and every thing there is in AV segment?

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Didn't NVIDIA start commenting on things before NV30 finally released?

Dr.Web's really pushing the PR to discard the "myths", and to retain their current users, to gain new users, to gain entry into new markets, to compete with other vendors and keep their ground in the market while they develop version 5.0.

The average joe gets pretty scared when an AV misses even 2-3 samples in tests. The average joe can tolerate an old GUI, but after seeing this VB100 test, may want to ditch the product. Dr.Web has taken this possibility into consideration and hence has been pushing the PR. Very smart IMO. :)

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Missing 2-3 virii, especially if there are detected using the proper settings, is okay with me. And I kind of like the old GUI; it doesn't try to do too much and is very simple. I've commented in the past about Dr Web's shortcoming, in terms of the GUI changes from 4.32 to 4.33, and honestly I was expecting more. Now I can't remember why. But I am very glad they are quickly adding defs and pushing PR.

5. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Of course they have to do this, otherwise the ship reaches ground soon...
    There is a lot of competion in the russian AV market, you have there the "big" player like KAV and you also have a lot of smaller players, such as UNA, ProAntivirus or VBA32. The bigger ones are more successful in international sales, and the smaller ones trying at least to sell as much as possible regional. So basically fire from each front :D

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well then think of just Slovakia and Czech! 3 AVs in so small area. Let alone BitDefender, Ikarus, F-Secure, AntiVir... So it's even tougher in europe...

7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

NOD32 is still up and got the 38 award.
    But, IC what happened with F-Prot? :(

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Could someone list why Avast failed?.I don't use it but am curious.Thanks.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Vlk mentioned some false positives, though nothing official yet.

10. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Oh if i remember right because of too much partying we've missed a aimbot. :rolleyes:
    I'm not in the Viruslab (at least i'm not supposed to be there...) so this was not really something i could have prevented :D

11. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Maybe, or maybe not. In my mind DrWeb will survive as long as Kalashnikov's do. :blink: I think that the Russians will use M16 rifles as their main weapons in the military, before they let DrWeb go to the bankrupt! :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

12. IBK

IBK AV Expert

OT: Someone told me a wise quote from Matt Ham included in the VB magazine: "The names and descriptions of the threats may change, but the anti-virus industry remains pretty much the same as it ever has been. The major companies are the same, user ignorance is unchanged and the hyperbolic press releases are the same. Even the claims that ‘soon all will change’ are simply repeats of the past." :p

13. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

I wouldn't say big mouth. Isn't news what makes the forums exciting here? We all would like to read about different av's in here. When the new F-Prot launches, I am sure this will be exciting. Let's be more open minded. Big mouth is not what we want here. :doubt:

14. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, the long awaited and anticipated F-PROT 6 and NOD32 3.0 would make the forum more exciting and crowded!!! :D :p

I always pay attention to Inspector's message to see if he would leak some info about F-PROT 6!! :D

15. Firefighter

Maybe that DrWeb talking is only the top of the iceberg. What we can't see about DrWeb that it has scored actually Advanced + detections in the latest Av-Comparatives test 05-2006 and it is the ONLY (sorry, maybe BitDefender and AVIRA too) single engined av that can compete Kaspersky in the shortest update delays availalable. Why that's so important? Even those REAL Advanced + av:s scored ONLY about a half of their detectings in that test. The rest half you can pick only with an av that has a very short update delay. My choise is after that the OLD GOOD DOCTOR! :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

PS. That DrWeb is even lighter av than the most of every av:s (actually only one av not so common in here, can compete with DrWeb) available in this forum, is also too big threat to this discussion too!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Is it really necessary to be so negative and antagonistico_O?

Providing explanatory comments on DrWeb's own website, for customers, is by no means "big mouth."

17. Firefighter

I understood that you were even older than I! Those anti-DrWeb comments are actually the final evidence to that how invincible the OLD GOOD DOCTOR actually is! :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

18. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I would like to see more of it even by other vendors.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well avast! guys have always explianed us what wen't wrong in case of VB100% test failure. So far. But just on forums, not some public announcement...

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

There is obviously a lot of interest in the next version of F-Protect. However, in the AVC tests it does not look all that good. It did not make but "Standard" in either of the last two tests.

Is it not then a second rate AV, and not even as good as Avast? Why should one want to buy such an AV?

This is not to inflame, but what are its strengths that make it equal or better than others which rank higher in both tests that would make it desirable? I do read that it is light on resources, but I have not found that any of the ones I have used have made any impact on my system. After all are not detection capabilities the single criterion that trumps others, along with system compatibility? F-Prot does not look good there.

Thanks,
    Jerry

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

This is still pretty old F-Prot 3.16f. F-Prot 6 will be much better.

22. Firecat

F-Prot AV is still one of the lightest AVs around. It still has good signature detection. F-Prot 6 will have even better detection capabilities and a new heuristic engine.

All in all, I haven't seen a single F-Prot user who was not satisfied with the way F-Prot protects his/her PC.

23. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The average joe probably doesn't know about such tests or even forums like this.

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Unfortunately. I'm afraid you're right.

25. Firecat

Hmm....Good point. But then, the average joe may at least read the Dr.Web press release, and then he'll see the test results out of curiosity, won't he?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.