Virtualization software question.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by squash, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squash

squash Registered Member

I am currently using Windows XP, but now am wanting to learn more about Virtualization software (such as VMWare, QEMU...) to run Linux (Kubuntu).

VM = Virtualization machine

Questions:
    1) I figured out from the resources I found on the Internet, that if I want to run an operating system inside a VM. Must I create an disk image? or can I run an operating system from a partition inside the VM

e.g. I have Ubuntu installed on another hard-drive or partition, and Windows on another hard drive. And from within Windows, I open VMWare or whatever and it will let me use Linux from that other harddrive WITHOUT first creating a disk image of the Linux installation...

2) If I DO create a disk image, when I run it inside VMWare will any changes made during the session be saved back to the image, or will it all be lost?

o_O

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

1. You dont have to create a disc image. You tell VMware how much disc space it should allocate for the new OS. The OS resides in that space. The OS is actually a file on your host operating system.

2. All your changes will be saved when you turn off the VM.

I have Windows Vista beta, Ubuntu and Mandriva Linux 64bit installed in VMware. My host system is Windows XP Pro 32 bit.

3. squash

squash Registered Member

Awesome Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.