virtual pc protection

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ra8ul, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ra8ul

ra8ul Registered Member

i have kis 7 on physical computer and using shared network(NAT) in virtual pc 2007 for internet access.My question is should i install firewall and antivirus on virtual pc for security.

Cheers

2. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Unless you don't like reinstalling it, unless you just work with a image you never update.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

It depends on what you do inside the VM.

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I would imagine your guest OS is some form of Windows on Virtual PC. Just turn on the built in firewall.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello ra8ul,
    With the setup you mention, all comms from (MS) virtual pc will go through "VIRTUAL PC.EXE", so any outbound will cause a popup from KIS to allow/block the outbound for that application. So packet filtering will be made by KIS. Unsolicited inbound will be blocked.

As for an AV, you will already have some filtering due to KIS web filtering.

As mentioned, it would really depend on your use of the VM. If for example you only use this for web browsing (for sandbox), then you can setup your V-PC with an "undo" disk with close options to disgard (not save state) of the V-PC, so that each re-boot of the V-PC would be as previous boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.