Virtual Box VERSUS Returnil?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by bellgamin, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I was taking a look at the specifications for VirtualBox...

I am familiar with applications such as Returnil & ShadowUser, where I simply reboot to restore. I am NOT at all familiar with apps such as Virtual Box.

When comparing a reboot-to-restore app (such as Returnil) VERSUS a "virtualizer" (such as Virtual Box), will someone please explain to me...

+What are the main differences?

+Which is better?

+Which is easier to use?

+Which is more secure?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I will be VERY grateful for any help you can give me.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Bellgamin

They are apples and oranges.

Returnil, is at it's heart a boot to restore program

Virtual box is a virtual machine program.

Virtual machines are like having a computer with in a computer. For example in my case I use VM ware's Workstation.

I create a virtual machine, by defining how much memory it has, how many and what size hard drive's it has. I then load an operating system, and other software I want to use. It responds and acts like a real computer. In mine I have all the standard security software I run on my host including programs like Returnil

Which is better. Depends on what you want to do. In the VM machine like any computer you install software you want to use. I use it to install software I don't want to put on my main computer.

Which is easier. Probably initially returnil, but both are pretty straight forward.

Security wise again depends on what you are doing.

Pete

3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Yes they are two different kinds of programs. Programs like returnil virtualise the harddrive only while virtual box does the whole machine. I think in the practical sense, it hardly makes a difference as malware raraly attack virtualization technology (except to check for it and not run to make it harder for malware researchers)

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

slightly OT ?

with hardware like the Lindy KVM http://tinyurl.com/ypn4y7 I have never tried any of the virtual solutions - better to run 4 real machines with programs like deep freeze, Returnil or better still shadow defender.

Today old machines are almost being given away and yet a 3.2 ghz P4 with 1 gb of ram still has plenty of life left in it if not loaded down with too many programs. Other older machines plus one decent modern machine all pluged into the same keyboard and monitor and you can have real rather than virtual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.