Vipre 2012 products: Discussion thread

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Surprised to see there is no thread yet for v2012 stable products.
    Vipre Internet Security 2012
    -http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/evaluation/405/micro-installer/1135/setup-vipre-internet-security-en-us-trial.exe-
    Vipre Antivirus 2012
    -http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/evaluation/411/micro-installer/1135/setup-vipre-antivirus-en-us-trial.exe-

Anyone upgraded to this yet?
    I am facing a very slow deep scan speed (took 10 hours to complete here in a 160Gb HDD) while archive scanning is turned on? This is similar to the previous version.
    I had to turn off "check files while they were opened or copied" because it still causes some stability issues. Mu explorer crashed/failed to respond multiple times. This option is very important as Vipre Antivirus (I am having license) do not have web protection.
    But it indeed is very light even while scanning.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. jack76

jack76 Registered Member

I have....Scan speed is still slow about 80min(160HDD)
    I had preformance/stability issues with previous version had to turn off "check files...."But this new 2012 version is running fine.No issues so far

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Day ! Used it and wasn't terribly impressed...scan times as noted are still way too lengthy...but unlike the previous version while quick scanning it at least detected cookies...and if your uninstalling it use Revo...otherwise it might Blue Screen...and disconnect your Internet drivers. They have to implement a more rapid full scan...digital fingerprinting would help. And the Gui has too inject a more Colourful Graphic Design...it's Simple to a fault...just my impression others might think highly of it. And everyone's still holding their collective breath in waiting to be included in the latest A/V Comparative Ratings. I'll wait to see what develops with the product...before deciding. Sincerely...Securon

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

In my case I think keeping archive scanning is the culprit. For me "check files...." didn't cause me problems at first, but problems started after some boot. unchecking that option solved the issue, so that surely is the issue. I think GFI need to concentrate on these issues which persisted for so long. Most softwares run full scan quite fast even with deep archive scanning and without too much resource consumption continue on-access realtime scan. This issues kept me away from Vipre although I liked other features very much.

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Lol, it seems Vipre has jumped on the yearly versions hype-train has well. Is 2012 v5?

6. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

^Yep, 2012 is v.5.0.5074

I've updated to Vipre AV 5/2012 on one system where I already had disabled the option 'Check files when they are opened or copied'.
    That option caused too much slowdown (on a 'not-too-bad' system with a C2D 2 GHz, 2GB and 7200rpm HDD) but with the option disabled, Vipre runs fine.
    TBH, with MSE, the option 'Scan/Monitor all files' caused similar drag, there I chose another option also.
    I installed Vipre 5/2012 over the previous version which went flawless.
    Haven't done a deep scan yet with the new version, sorry to read it's still so time consuming.
    Then again, I never watch a full scan or do it when having need for performance.
    Solving or lessening the 'Check files when they are opened or copied' unresponsiveness, would be most wellcome.

P.S. Scanning archives has caused long scan times with virtually all AV's, I've used.

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

with Vipre I think it's the longest IMO, even MSE, Dr.Web completes scan in 7-8 hours..o_O
    After removing archive scanning, full scan still took more than four hours to complete.

4.jpg

And what I don't like too, is that it can't jidge how will it take to complete the scan. For most of the scan period it said just one sec remaining.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

8. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Vipre's strong point isn't a fast full scan, that's obvious. But again, for me it's the least important 'negative'.
    The '1 sec. remaining' issue is very annoying though, especially when 1 second can mean a couple of hours or more.
    That and the 'Check files when they are opened or copied' unresponsiveness, are hopefully nr.1&2 of Vipre's AV to-do list.

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Ah well! Last and final bullet in Vipre. Still in this version Scheduled scan is causing system freezing. I have scheduled fast scan to run everyday as I have turned off 'Check files when they are opened or copied'. I was watching a movie just now and a download was running in Firefox. Suddenly my system got frozen. With my utter surprise I found that Vipre tray icon has turned to green which means its running a scan. I have faced this problem in my wife's laptop (Vipre Premium) last year and now this is with Vipre Antivirus. Now I think I need to switch to something else as I can't live with all this trouble considering I am not running a beta version.

10. tomdy2k

tomdy2k Registered Member

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

12. tomdy2k

tomdy2k Registered Member

MRG?:D

13. Ripcord

Ripcord Registered Member

Ist fast scan took my run time from 230 mins down to about 25 mins. The only problem was fast scan only works w/ Scheduled scans at this time. Unchecking archive scanning did nothing for my run times. Nice AV but there is room for improvements.

14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Its detection is not questionable. In my view:
    Vipre Antivirus have
    Pros:
    good detection
    light on resources in idle time
    easy to use
    Cons:
    Bugs in On-access scan
    Very slow scan speed
    Scheduled scan affect system performance
    No web Shield

Avast free has all the 7 points in positive end and its free. GFI should think about it.

15. The Hammer

16. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

lol yeah... kinda picky from me but this makes me think Vipre will become bloated, just like any other "Internet Security Suite".
    Long time scans have been a problem since v4 and looks like they do not intend to fix that.
    On-Access scanning renders my system unusable when dealing with multiple (not many) files.
    Thank Robocop they haven't pushed upgrades at once, I'm still running v4 and won't upgrade anytime soon if the glitches described above continue.
    Now the also killed Unlimited Home Site licences, which is not a good move IMO since this licensing scheme was different from any other.
    They are not Sunbelt Software anymore, and Alex Eckelberry let the company few weeks ago... go figure...:rolleyes:

17. Sir Percy

Sir Percy Registered Member

Seems like very very little changes from version to version with Vipre.

Just an oldschool signature based AV with no other updates than a slightly prettier GUI which looks exactly the same though as previous versions when you go through the settings etc.

18. atomomega

Sadly I have to report no good news. Clean install of VIPRE Internet Security on a clean WinXP reformat... BIG FAIL... they removed the Wizard for the firewall, which by the way doesn't seem to work. Everything has open access to the web. No notifications for rule creation like in previous version... What the heck happened to VIPREo_O

19. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I have installed Vipre again, this time on my XP machine and it works fine there with on-access scan/scheduled scan enabled. They seem to have added a cache enabled faster scan (fast second scan) under scheduled scanning.

20. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

That happens...:cool: when Girl Friend comes In.

:p

21. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

New beta released;

22. atomomega

Thank you for the heads up! But, at this point I'll just stick to version 4 until my subscription runs out. GFI f*cked VIPRE up big time.

23. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Can't ever use Vipre again. Not sure but my machine is in such a bad state (no safe mode) etc. Once I clean it up/reformat I'm switching to ESET.

24. The Hammer

Are you keeping your other security programs?

25. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    The hammer..most of them yes. May dump system mechanic for now and only run SAS as need be.

When I ran Vipre-the scans were insanely long. like 1:45 for a computer with a 500 GB hard drive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.