Video of Windows 8 Smart Screen in action

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Hungry Man, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

http://video.ch9.ms/ch9/7a2d/99856b51-43a1-4fe7-92b5-9f5f013a7a2d/AntiMalware_high_ch9.mp4

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Nice! Video is well worth watching! Thanks Hungry.

3. Hungry Man

I haven't come into contact with it myself, which is comforting. I like a silent defense.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Nice new SmartScreen feature. I wonder how it will work with UAC. Will the user see two prompts? Or only one, warning that the application is uncommon and also requires admin privileges?

5. elapsed

I don't see how the 2 features relate. One warns of low popularity and the other asks for elevation. I'd see no reason for there not to be 2 warnings.

However that being said, the "this file is downloaded from the internet" warning is completely gone for files with popular reputation. So if it's positive, the user gets NO warning, very good.

6. Hungry Man

Because it takes admin access to allow an unknown file with low reputation to run. I think it will just be one prompt.

7. elapsed

Good point, quite possibly.

I tried to test it but when I ran an unknown file (nightly VLC) it simply game me the usual prompt of the file being downloaded from the internet and the, asked for admin access to install. Reputation might not be fully implemented yet?

8. Hungry Man

Are you sure it's an unknown file?

Does VLC do any digital signing?

EDIT:

I may test out the new Hyper-V emulation with Windows 8 and then test the smartscreen within that VM... if I'm not too lazy.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  9. elapsed

Not on nightlies no. But IE10 gave a reputation warning and I ignored it, that might be why.

10. Hungry Man

Maybe. It would be a pain if it warned you twice so it probably sees you ignore it the first time and considers the matter settled haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.