Viable Alternative to iWiSoft Free Video Converter?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Can anyone recommend a good video converter (preferably free) to replace iWiSoft Free Video Converter? There are a lot of things I love about FVC, but there are some other things I simply can't live with anymore.

First on the list is how it automatically opens the browser to check for updates every time you open it. Secondly, when I installed it, it worked great for about a week then it mysteriously quit working right. Several things quit working. I emailed iWiSoft over a week ago about it but haven't heard a thing.

I just don't feel like fighting it. Hopefully there's something just as good that actually works. FLV Player is out. I have it installed and use it occasionally, but I really don't like it. I have Vista 32-bit.

Thank you. :)

2. Boost

Boost Registered Member

3. allizomeniz

Thank you for that link. I wasn't able to determine whether you can convert media before burning. If it does, it's not apparent. I'm looking for something a little more straightforward.

Any other ideas? :)

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

5. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I have used quite a few converters and I have had the most success with AutoMKV....MP4/X264 It is free and does not require installation but does require AviSynth and a few codecs in order to work. There is a forum devoted to it. ...old but everything you need is there. No where near as fast as iWiSoft but the quality is far better.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AutoMKV

You could also try Handbrake which is loved by many.

6. allizomeniz

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess a little more clarification on my part is in order. One of the things I like most about iWiSoft FVC is its simplicity. No additional codecs necessary and you don't have to be a genius to use it. And it did work very well when it worked. That's what I meant by something "just as good" as FVC though I now see I could have used better words to express it.

chinook9, that site you linked to looks like an excellent resource if I had the patience to sort through it all. AutoMKV is too much for me to deal with. In the time it would take me to figure out how to use it I could probably figure out what's wrong with FVC, but that's what I was hoping to avoid.

I may just have to bite the bullet and work on FVC. :)

7. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Avidemux and Handbrake are good free open source alternates that work well and are updated frequently, even basic WinFF is quite good.

8. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

http://www.miksoft.net/mobileMediaConverter.htm

Haven't tried it but looks promising.
    Was looking for ways to convert .3gp to other formats.
    Found the site here-->http://www.3gp.com/ which led to the above.

It's available for Windows, Linux and Mac. The source code is also available in launchpad format.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

10. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

11. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

12. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I recommend MediaCoder. Its interface and options are not for novice users, but once you learn it, it will suffice all your audio-video converting/encoding needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.