Very slow snapshot copy time?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR BETA Forum' started by kneighbour, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kneighbour

kneighbour Registered Member

I have just fired up the beta for the first time (V1.20 build 201)- and also as a first time FD-ISR user. I have been a RollbackRx user for sometime and was looking for something to replace that now that it no longer works in Windows Vista (which I use).

My system
    Windows Vista Ultimate -a fairly new install, taking up about 18 gigs on a 350 gig SATA2 hard drive.
    My hardware is a fairly normal Pentium 4, 3 gig CPU, 1 gig RAM desktop computer.

Installation was painless and quick. I make a secondary snapshot as soon as the installation finished. It said it would take almost 3 hours! I left it go at 1 hour elapsed and went to bed. It is transferring data at about 4.6 megs/sec.

I am doing another snapshot now, and it estimated the time at 1 hour 4 min. There is still 45 minutes left on that, also transferring at 4.6megs a second.

Nothing else is going on int he computer (except me entering these posts). I use Trend Micro as my anti-virus program, and I have just runed that off in case that is the problem.

I have no anchored data. The task is on High Priority. the task has been going now for 24 minutes and it says it has 24 minutes to go (so the estimate is getting faster). But 45 minutes still seems way to long to a snapshot.

I also use True Image 10, and that does a complete image in less time. mind, I guess FDISR is also doing a complete image.

There is nothing else that I can think of that would cause this slow speed.

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I have a Windows C: Drive of 50 GB and my Primary Windows takes up around 14 GB which makes a FD-ISR snapshot of around 13 GB which inside that snapshot, time to update or export takes over an hour as well. If I go into my Secondary Snapshot and export my Primary Snapshot from there, time goes down to about half the time. Acronis True Image makes its image in about 8 minutes on my system.

dja2k

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Kneighbour

Depending on your needs you might only want one additional snapshot. How long does it take to update one of your snapshots.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.