Very Slow Booting With True Image 8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by maybe, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maybe

maybe Guest

Hi i have tried acronis true image 8 on a xp sp1 1gig system 500+ram 80gig maxtor hard drive with 8mb cache. Hard drive using ITE 133 raid card. I have found a horrible bug that i cannot get rid of. In that i enabled secure zone and let the zone be on partition F: which is 8gig this i used to make image of my C: partition of 3gig using incremental. All worked great even system restore and was fast. But then i noticed the problem that every time i boot i gets to the post boot screen and hangs for 20 before option F11 acronis then another 15 seconds before it continues to boot system.

I tried this on another pc thats has a different make hard drive western digital on a p3 500mhz system with xp sp1 and it has not slowed down the boot time. Is there a problem you have with maxtor 80gig 8mb cahe hard drives or ite raid cards. I did not have my maxtor mbr backupd but the only way is to erase the mbr and start afresh which i do not want to do as a lot of data transfering would need to be done for this.

I have tried reformatting the maxtor C: partition a few times and reinstalled xp sp1 but has made no difference. Even though it has no acronis true image on it any more. It still is slow booting.

Before acronis the 80gig maxtor 8mb cahe hard drive was very fast at boot time. Do you know of this problem and are you able to patch acronis true image 8 to remedy this. Then i can fix my hard drive to boot fast again please.

2. Maybe

Maybe Guest

Some help with this please.

3. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Did you remove the Secure Zone?

4. Maybe

Maybe Guest

No the secure zone stayed in place until i decided to reinstall the os to overcome what acronise had done to the mbr slow bootup etc. Before i reinstalled i did then remove the secure zone. After reinstal the os the drive still boots very slow. Have tried acronis again since with the secure zone but has not improved the slow boot up speed.

5. beenthereb4

Try using your XP cd to boot into the Recovery Console and run fixmbr.

6. Maybe

Maybe Guest

Is this an option to do with a working os, and would it destroy existing partitions. Also is it complicated to do.

7. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

It's as complicated as typing "fixmbr"
    It's not destructive, as long as you have a standard MBR. (i.e., you only have Windows on your machine and do not use a Linux or other 3rd party boot loader)

8. Maybe

Maybe Guest

Ok thanks i'll go and try it, and hope it fixes the problem.

Also looks like i wont be able to use acronis again until the problem has been fixed, with the acronis software. Can you please put this in the history or somewher easy for me to see. On the acronis site hwen it has been fixed, then i will try acronis again.

9. Maybe

Maybe Guest

So much for the fixmbr help here that wiped my hd partitions completely. Have had to do a whole new repartition afresh. Didn't lose to much using a file undelete tool on the new partitions (same sizes as before).

I installed xp afresh and has been very very quick at booting from my 80gig maxtor 8mb cache hd. Also with the usual second western digital 80gig hd 8mb cache.

So with only xp SP1 standard i thought i'd try acronis again, downloaded a newer version, and installed it.

GRRRRR Acronis is ok until i make the secure zone on the end of the second hard drive. Now my system is back to being very slow on boot again as before. It started with a 10 second delay and now is worse with a 20 second delay. These delays are always at the post screen.

XP PRO SP1
    2x 80gig hard drives 8mb cache on an ite 133 raid card. Hard drives not raided
    500mb+ memory
    AGP graphics
    creative 5.1 sound

This information is for Acronis to fix there software. Which I will not use again, I have not the time to keep doing my hard drive. This time I will back everything up and low level format the drive or Zero it including the mbr.

The fix that Acronis should do it for it's users of true image. As there certainly is a bug in the software.

Note to beenthereb4 and wdormann - Thanks NOT for your appaling advice. Fixmbr no way, don't go there with a raid card. Using the microsoft option as mentioned above.

10. beenthereb4

Sorry to hear that! In theory, that should not happen unless there was something that you did not mention, like a boot manager. However, sometimes the unexplainable strikes you out of the blue. I would not be happy either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.