Verizon DSL

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I have as my firewall Sygate; I have used this firewall for quite a number of years and have never had any problems with it. Recently my connection to the internet has been slower than in the past. In a conversation, with a technical support representative of Verizon, I was told my connection problems was caused by my firewall. Assuming she is correct, and since Sygate has been purchased and is no longer supporting the product, I am considering changing to another firewall but I am at a loss as to which one. My thought is that the microsoft firewall which I can enable but have not is just not enough. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You might want to look through this forum. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,vz

Verizon had a fiber cut last week but, I assume that is fixed.

If the speed problem suddenly cropped up, it is almost assuredly a Verizon problem. That is, if everything on your computer has remained constant.

3. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I agree with ronjor. I have verizon dsl and, although they are polite and helpful, they will never admit, even under torture, that they might be the problem. Also, I was given a Westell 6100 modem with my service and that has a hardware firewall. May not be the best, but it has been sufficient for inbound control when set to high. I can accesss it by entering "192.168.1.1 " in the address bar.

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

All that I can add is that I use Sygate FW Pro v5.6.3408 on my laptop which connects to the internet via Verizon DSL (by way of a wireless gateway) with no prolems whatsoever. However, Verizon (like any ISP) is not without problems every once in a while, so I suspect that was/is the culprit of your slowdown.

But it's a good ideal to see if your system's internet settings are optimum. To do that go here and follow directions (note that it's far busier in the eve. than early in the day).

5. jpcummins

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I do have one other question. When I turn my computer on in the morning an icon appears in the system tray alerting me to the fact that I am not yet connected to the internet. When I right click on the icon a message appears giving me the option to click repair. When I do then everything is fine. But the reason the message gives me for not connecting is this. "Local Area Connection 3; Speed: 100.0 Mbps; Status: Limited or no connection" It also states that the reason is: Network did not assign a network address to the computer. Do you have any idea what it is talking about? Again, thanks very much in advance. This forum has proven to be invaluable to be.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you using any wireless products?

7. jpcummins

I am not using any wireless products. I am baffled. If I wait long enough the icon in the system tray will disappear on its own and I am connected to the internet. Once I am connected the speed seems to be fine. Thanks again.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.