Verify RollBack image?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bgoodman4, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Is there any way to verify/validate an image made with RBs imaging tool. I was able to explore it but I do not think this will guarantee that I can restore from it. I do not want to do an actual restore as a test of this as I do not want to lose my snapshots.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Unfortunately, with imaging programs of any kind the only way to know if it works is actually to perform a restore. Generally if it works once, it should work most of the time, unless as it has been pointed out in another thread there are hardware problems interfering with the process.

3. bgoodman4

Thanks for your post,

For ATI it is recommended that you take the recovery process to the point just before you actually initiate the actual recovery. The theory being if ATI allows you to get this far the archive is most likely OK. Also, ATI have a validate feature but RBs imager does not, at least I was not able to find it if it does have one.

If someone is using the spin off version of RBs imager, Drive Cloner, could you please let me know if this feature (validation of the image) has been included.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Beware of the the assumption that validating an image is proof that a restore will start without any errors. I never validate my images (after trying the first successful restore). This has been a long debated point here at Wilders, some people not wishing to test their restore capabilities (understandable if your setup works well) have discovered the bitter truth that when they really needed to restore their system, it didn't work even having images previously validated.

If you want to rely on an image when real disaster strikes, you ought to try at least once to restore.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

All that proves is ATI(or any imaging program) found the archive, could open it and read the header and could find your hard drives, but I wouldn't assume because of that it can be successfully restored.

Unfortunately the only real test of that is to do the restore.

Pete

6. bgoodman4

Understood Pete, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.