Various AV's detection bases file size

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xpsunny, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

I only need a tentative idea. I don't want highly mathematically correct size.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'm not so sure about that. However you may be in a better position to know.

3. xpsunny

Okies....here I go.

For me BIGGER is BETTER.......just a personal choice for knowing the detection rate.

Oh now common.....please don't tell me all the philosophies about how AVs work ,the humble role of heuristics, the bliss of HIPS the fragrance of scan speed, the delight of Self-Defense....etc etc etc...I know all those ga-ga-ga stories....
    I only wanna know the file size....

Only a personal concept....

4. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

5. The Hammer

o_O As pugmug explained BIGGER does not necessarily equal detection rate.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

LMAO ROFLCOPTER

7. xpsunny

Holy Jesus.....I only wanna know the size.....see....I told you if I tell u the reason, like a child I will be made to hear all the child tales about how AVs work.

It's really late for me in India now. I am feeling very sleepy, tomorrow I have Graphics class at college. I'll be back after 15 hours or something.

Good night. Take Care. Happy Dreams.

8. The Hammer

Some things you just can't escape. LOL.

9. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

10. icr

icr Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Drwebs is still less than 10mb :)

12. The Hammer

Not big enough for the OP but Firecat might be interested if he doesn't have a licence already.;)

13. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

XPSUNNY - Interesting research. Sorry to be off topic but PrevxEdge doesn't poop all the signatures to your hd but rely on their own servers. :cool:

14. Arup

Arup Guest

In that case Avast makes the best choice.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

ZA Suite: 45MB
    You didn't ask but... since size matters... why not! :D

Fax

16. normishmael

normishmael Guest

For those as "out of it" as me,
    Urban dictionary:
    ROFL COPTER

Based of an ASCII picture and now a flash game. The rofl copter has its spinning LOL propellers and occasionally drops a WTF bomb or an OMG missile and the LOLerskaters below or the LMAO planes.
    "Last night some n00b playing CS used speed hack! We actually killed him twice and then banned him!"

"ROFL COPTER!"

17. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Norton 2009's incremental updates are >200 kb. It's intelligent updater updates are ~30mb.

18. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

gotta love those WTF bombs :p

19. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If I'm looking at the right link, the update for AVG would be 30MB. The size of the detection files is a problem most of the vendors are having to deal with. They all have their own methods for compressing, splitting, or incrementing the updates. To my knowledge, there's no correlation between detections and the size of the detection file.

20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

;)

It is true the broadband revolution is spreading fast but there are still areas where people are restricted to dialup or have "broadband" which doesn't really exceed dialup speed due to technical reasons. Now that is a separate discussion, so it would be better not to continue it in this thread. However, the landscape is indeed changing (and in just the last 2-3 years it has changed a whole lot actually :D), but the thing is that I doubt everyone has made the switch to broadband just yet (for example, say less developed areas). That is why I said that mostly ppl might still be using dialup, though its not a sure thing because I have never seen any surveys on the topic, all I have is my personal experience. :)

At a certain point you get busy enough with life that you don't think about AVs all that much :D

I am pretty happy with the 2 AV licenses I do have right now and see no reason to make the switch to Dr.Web (for one, I would like to see how Dr.Web develops in the following months first) :)

@icr and xpsunny: The Kaspersky database size mentioned is for version 7, which is similar to ZA suite. The values differ for Kaspersky 2009: It is about 30-31 MB approx judging from the values I obtained while fishing around their FTP for the bases for version 8. This is excluding the HIPS/PDM updates, and also excluding some update files for web AV which I suspect are configuration files rather than the actual database. Make what you will of it ;)

(Also, the calculated size I got for just the bases for version 6 is about 42 MB, a bit different than the 45 mentioned but even if I am off by a few MBs then it still is a fact that KAV 8 has a smaller database size than version 6 and 7)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  21. xpsunny

Thank you for all the replies........................................ :) ;) :D

22. xpsunny

You made my day. Thanks a million.

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

xpsunny, sorry to burst your bubble, but size of the database in MB does not, in any way relate to detection.

24. xpsunny

I know that dear.....:)

Different people, different genes, different DNAs, different mental calculative concepts.....:D

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

but then there's that minor detail concerning objective reality......

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.