v4.x Bus Ed: documentation feedback - PLEASE

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by Reedmikel, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reedmikel

Reedmikel Registered Member

Hello to all you other NOD32 v4.x admins,

Being new to ESET NOD32 4.x, I am curious:

a) are there many other Business Ed. users monitoring this forum?

b) if so, how did you find the documentation? In particular, how did you create your own custom policies considering that almost none of the policy settings are documented in the Policy Manager's Configuration Editor tool (in ERAC).

I've complained to ESET endlessly that as a newbie I find the lack of documentation a real problem. I do not want to experiment with policy settings to try to figure out what they do. I much prefer to just have good documentation built right into the ERAC software. I did learn that ESET documented some of the policy settings in the NOD32 client's help file, but the policy tree/hierarchy is completely different between ERAC and the client, making it near impossible to intelligently review/modify policies using ERAC. I wonder why ESET documented it (partially) in the client side, and totally ignored the admin tools in ERAC?

The frustrating part is that the ERAC software already has a database field created for policy descriptions, and even has an area reserved on the Policy Config's screen for this description. Yet ESET has not populated the majority of this database with any useful descriptions (other than "Available since 4.x"). Sorry, but that "description" does not help me at all :( e.g. How is a newbie supposed to know what "Anti-stealth enabled" means? After waiting 3 days for ESET to call me back, I did learn what that setting means...

So, if I am not alone, PLEASE REPLY TO THIS THREAD AND VOICE YOUR DESIRE TO ALSO SEE THESE SETTINGS GET DOCUMENTED WITHIN ERAC.

On the other hand, I imagine those that already struggled thru this newbie issue don't really care any more (as hopefully they understand all the policy settings). But some day when you go to revise some little-used policy setting, you will again run into this issue and wish these descriptions existed...

2. Reedmikel

I guess there are little, if any, MSPs frequenting this site. Too bad...

I never understood why there isn't a separate forum for the NOD32 Business Edition. Too often this forum's moderator references version 5 (home users) when replying to my threads, even though I go out of my way to indicate I am a MSP using v4.x o_O I think he has little exposure to the business version...

3. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

I've never even looked at the policy settings. We have 120 clients and we just have a single config that I push out with the clients, updating via ERAC if required. The policy settings screen, with its hierarchy and inheritance, always seemed unnecessarily confusing to me so I never pursued it. The config file does everything we need.

Jim

4. Reedmikel

I had a hunch that a lot of folks are just accepting the default policy settings because the documentation is missing and it's far from intuitive as you mentioned.

Hopefully ESET developers read this thread and learn from it...

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Your request for additional documentation on policy settings with respect to usage by MSPs has been forwarded to ESET's knowledgebase team for consideration in a subsequent version of the documentation.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.