v4 Self-Defense Module(how to turn it off)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by proactivelover, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

i use TuneUp Utilities 2009 for tweaking OS(XPSP3,VISTASP1)
    when i run tuneup registry defrag at the end off registry scan i see error because off v4 Self-Defense
    i disable v4 realtime protection and firewall but nothing change pls tell me how to disable Self-Defense

Attached Files:

• ssds.jpg
      ssds.jpg
      File size:
      65.1 KB
      Views:
  2. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

I have the same program and ran the reg defrag with no problems, even with the suite still full running. Just go for it.
    if you really feel that nervous then backup the registry first or do a system restore save.

3. proactivelover

Fault Module Name: RegistryDefrag.exe
    Fault Module Version: 8.0.2000.35
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00001abc
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 889b
    Additional Information 2: b8cb19d892bd08ec08001109133bb9eb
    Additional Information 3: 465b
    Additional Information 4: 2a5d26da4e9fe1ca0c4251832a8892c0
    i think it's v4 self-defense fault

Attached Files:

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I think the application was trying to write to the ESET registry key. When the attempt was denied, it ended with the error beause it didn't expect that access can be denied.
    Currently it's not possible to disable self-defense, however, I'd suggest the author of the application to remedy the program code so that it doesn't crash in such situations.

5. proactivelover

i email tune-up support(support_en@tune-up.com)
    they said

~Private email removed. No private email to be posted without permission of both parties. - Ron~

pls add a option in future v4 to disable self-protection

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2008
  6. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

This is crazy! In my opinion, not properly ESET to comply with them, but they must comply with ESET.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I also think this should be implemented - not because of a particular application but to have as a general option and avoid pottential conflicts.

8. patch

patch Registered Member

Would not implementing a simple way around self protection, then weaken self protection as other applications could exploit this single point of vulnerability. Self protection is likely to work by ESS using multiple means to preserve it's configuration & invocation such that an attempt to change it by one approach is corrected / protected by other approaches. If other applications are allowed to modify configuration data which is vital to ESS, then that would complicate the environment within which ESS has to run (more bugs & less reliability).

Not saying fitting in with other programs is a bad thing, as this sounds like a false positive. But where it compromises ESS efficiency for a niche system tool, then the ideal solution is less obvious.

BTW
    Do other programs have the ability to readily disable self protection?
    How does TuneUp Utilities 2009 behave with other antivirus programs running?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Something as simple as EAV self-defense breaking that program strikes me as a flaw in their program. What about if it happens again with another program? Will tune-up just keep ignoring it and say the other program should change?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.