v.6.x: performance anxiety!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BellaBoo, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BellaBoo

BellaBoo Registered Member

i'm still running v.5 because i'm not yet trusting of a seemless v.6 integration with my computer --- not that my computer is anything special, but *i am* when it comes to upgrading...

i really want to upgrade and take advantage of the new technology but there are a number of 'what the?' threads on this forum that leave me breathless!

is there anyone else lingering with me, waiting ...?

2. first of all you don't mention the specs of your computer so we can hep you.

second, unless you don't try the new version you can't be sure if it will be compatible with your pc.

3. BellaBoo

hi and thanks for your post :)

the number of 'having trouble' threads has had an effect on my own personal level of confidence and ability and no-one's posting about their success! perhaps i should have titled my thread 'tell me about your successful upgrade to v6'!

i had several issues following the upgrade to v5 and one in particular prevented windows updates and that took *me* days to figure out [on my own].

my computer specs are:
    Windows 7 Professional [64-bit], v.6.1.7601, SP1, AMD Phenom(tm), II X6 1055T Processor (2800 MHz), 12288 MB Ram

obviously, i'm not looking to receive one-on-one assistance [altho, hello! that would be awesome] :)

i'm a diehard ess fan, and i will continue that way for a long time to come [just in case you're thinking otherwise...]

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd say that wait with upgrade for the next service build if you use Outlook 2013 and need to use the ESET plug-in for filtering spam or if you use symbolic links, otherwise go ahead and upgrade now. You can downgrade to v5 at any time if you run into an issue.

5. BellaBoo

hey marcos :) thanks for your post!

actually, i use outlook 2010 and the v5 eset plugin works with that! so, v6 is go in that regard, right?

i am only now hearing about the term 'symbolic link'. is it what i've always referred to as a 'shortcut' [ie, placing a shortcut on my desktop that points to the target location]?

if yes, then i'm happy to wait for the next build.

6. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey BellaBoo, I saw your post and question regarding Symbolic links, I hope you don't mind if I try to answer it. No a shortcut is not a symbolic link, imho, a Shortcut, those on ours desktops, is just an ordinary file that has a reference to a destination file/ or directory. While a Symbolic Link can act/behave like a substitute for a directory/file. If you want to dig further I have found a couple of links that will help you (to fall in sleep ;) ) get a better understanding/explanation, I hope.

Link:Symbolic Links (Windows) Link:NTFS symbolic link

Regards, Janus

7. BellaBoo

oh mon ami, i most certainly do not mind and thank you for taking the time :)

this is what i thought!

but then:
    sounds very much similar and is why i am confused!

first, thank you for providing those links! i read them [along with a number of others], and in trying to understand the information (much yawning to be sure o_O], i still found it difficult to fathom the distinction!

but i will take it to understand, per you, that what is a shortcut is entirely different to what is a symlink!

second, if these two issues are the only [known] stumbling blocks that may cause me concern, then i feel confident that neither issue will complicate my life when i upgrade to v6!

i just need a few days to get comfortable...

thank you again monsieur janus for your assistance :)

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

we use ess for many of our clients its actually one of our main av's, i can honestly say we have had VERY VERY few issues with v6. i have personally upgraded somewhere around 100+ systems already and only once did i have a semi major issue and that was easily resolved by simply uninstalling and doing a fresh install.

the only reason to shy away for the time being is if you use outlook 2013 and want to use the eset plugin. this is being fixed and otherwise i just dont see issues. i read them here but do not see them at all in my shop. imo the performance of v6 is better than v5 for me at least. and you have MORE than capable hardware to run v6 without having and problems performance wise. or any av for that matter but ess will be one of the lightest you can use. if you run into a issue we are all here and i do not work for eset but i will be very happy to help just ask.

hope that helps you decide either way as i said i just dont have issues and we work with all kinds of hardware many MUCH less than what you have even and they are fine with v6.

9. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello

Just a small thought, BellaBoo :)

If you not already have it, then get yourself a good drive image software, backup your entire hard disk to e.g. a partition, then you can easily restore your previous system if you are running into problems with version 6 x. A solid backup software gives you many benefits...

Cheers, Janus

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  10. jolt2

jolt2 Registered Member

BellaBoo, I am there with you. I see all the post with problems on ver. 6 and I am thinking I don't need that kind if head ache. Some of the new stuff in version 6 would be bloat ware to me - like locating your computer. I do not need to open another can of worns right now and I will hold off of updating.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Anti-Theft is not the only new thing in v6. For instance, v6 uses advanced heuristics on file execution (can be enabled manually in older versions) and another protection improvement is in the firewall itself which is now able to detect various system vulnerability exploitations.

12. BellaBoo

hello :) *life* got in my way, so apple ogies for my tardiness :D

thank you so very much for your post zfactor; it provided much needed positive feedback :)

congrats also on your success and thanks too for your offer to help me --- if i struggle, in whatever way or form, i'm likely to [in the last place], send you a PM [i hope that would be acceptable].

good advice, thank you janus :) i perform a full backup and take a system image weekly; i will do that immediately before i upgrade...

thank you marcos :) i hope i'm able to understand and take advantage of the new features available in v6 --- you will likely hear from me again, soon o_O

i've been an avid fan of ess for a number of years and i'm looking forward to the upgrade...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.