uTorrent Permanently Storing Downloaded File Names?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by phkhgh, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

Hello,
    Anyone looked into issue whether recent versions of uTorrent permanently (or semi) stores downloaded file names in certain *.dat files (not just the .torrent list, that can be deleted)? If I'm right, seems like violation of privacy.

Using latest uTorrent 1.8.3 in Vista x64. Looked at couple posts about names of downloaded files showing up in other uTorrent files after the .torrent files had been deleted from the storage / settings location. Frankly, answers were all over the map & I got lost.
    Read uTorrent Help file about different Remove options from menu. Haven't played w/ this for weeks & weeks, but it seems ? no matter WHICH method / option is selected from remove menu, some d/l file names still show, esp in resume.dat or BU copy of it (maybe others).

Yes, have to use a binary file reader, but the d/l'd file names & much other data are still there. It's nothing to open one of those files.

Help section on "Remove" talks about how .torrent files/ data will be removed from UI, .torrent list, etc. Does NOT discuss how or when this info is stored in above mentioned files.

MAYBE haven't hit on the right combo / selection to purge these data from .dat files, or keep it from being stored in them in the 1st place, but gave it my best shot.

Thanks.

2. axle00

axle00 Registered Member

Interesting...I hadn't heard of this, but I'm definitely going to look into it

3. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

Please do. My post on uTorrent's forum has no replies after several days. Mods there have answered other questions before & after mine. Maybe they don't know, but...

There may be a way to stop / prevent this action, but the info is definitely there in my uTorrent prgm file(s).

4. Countermail

Countermail Registered Member

If you right click on the torrent and goto menu [Remove And] > Delete .torrent it will be deleted from all uTorrent files, I have done binary searches and it works. If you still have problems you can try Options / Preferences / [Clear private data]. I tested this on Windows Vista 32-bit, and I find it hard to believe that it will be any different on x64.

5. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

Thanks all,

Going to double check using method suggested.

Could be wrong (again), but think if u just click the "X" on toolbar, the file names are in the .utorrent list AND also still in the resume.dat (I think). It seemed if then manually deleted the .torrent list / names, then the names of the d/l files were not deleted from the .dat file (and no easy way to remove them, I could see).

So seems the method used to delete the torrents from uTorrent UI, is the key to whether filenames are "permanently" stored in resume.dat.

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Another reason to use Returnil or Deep Freeze. I reboot and everything I did in the last session is gone.

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I use Returnil too. But more recently with the latest version, when I do a lot of downloading, my computer freezes up and it says there is no disc space left in Z drive. It never use to do that.

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I still use 'Returnil Personal 2008' version 2.0.0.5011.
    Never a burp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.