µTorrent claiming I don't have enough system resources when using NOD32 v3

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by shadek, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadek

shadek Registered Member

µTorrent (1.8.1) stops my torrents from time to time claiming I don't have enough system resources. This problem does not occur when running without AV or with NOD32 v2, hence I'm pretty sure NOD32 v3 is causing the problem. I was running the latest build with the latest updates.

Is there any solution for this problem?

Regards

P.S. I'm currently using NOD32 v2 which works fine.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Sounds like you're running out of RAM because you have cacheing turned on. I suggest you turn off upload cacheing in uT. This isn't a NOD32 issue.

3. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Since it only happens when I have v3 installed I think it's pretty safe to say that's causing the problem. Furthermore, I have a lot of RAM installed.

4. JuliusB

JuliusB Registered Member

not a good idea if you have fast download speeds and topics author probably has fast Internet.
    on the contrary, cache may need o be increased.

5. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yes, I am 10 Mbit down/upload so I need the cache turned on. Anyhow, I've even tried to increase cache as well as turning it off. The problem only occurs when I'm running NOD32 V3. The problem does not occur when I run with NOD32 V2 or running without an AV.

I am therefore 100 % positive the problem is related to NOD32 V3. I suppose I'll just keep going with V2 until my licence expires and go for Avira's AV solution.

6. elapsed

It's quite obviously a RAM issue, I'll say it again, it has nothing to do with NOD32. v3 uses more RAM than v2, that's why you're noticing it. Maybe you should pay more attention to how much memory the cache is taking.

Furthermore, I use v3 and uT just fine with 4GB of RAM (3.5 effective) and cacheing on.

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

How much is a "lot" of RAM? What type of processor? How many processes do you have running at start up?

To say Nod is the sole problem is really not fair. However it may have been the final straw on a system that was running close to the limit already.

8. Cryptopsy

Cryptopsy Registered Member

I used to have problems with uTorrent & NOD32. Excluding utorrent.exe from NOD32's scanning solved the problem.

Same goes for ActiveSync by the way.

9. shadek

shadek Registered Member

A lot of RAM meaning 4 GB (though only 3 GB due to the use if WinXP 32-bit) and a Pentium Q9550 (quad-core). And also, µTorrent never uses more than 85 mb of RAM so that's not the issue here. I always have more than 1 GB free even when playing intensive FPS games.

I'll try to exclude µTorrent in V3 and see if it works.

EDIT: 6 hours later the problem still haven't emerged. I think excluding µTorrent from scanning resolved the issue.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  10. elapsed

Odd, I don't have uT excluded. Do you by any chance have uT ticked in the web browsers section? Try unticking it and see if it has the same effect.

11. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Assuming you do have sufficient RAM to run XP, uTorrent is being throttled by your ISP.
    Try downloading Torrents off-hours.

I would not recommend excluding uTorrent from being scanned by NOD.

12. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I'm not being shaped or throttled by ISP. :) NOD32 v3 was causing the problem.

13. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Sadly, the event re-occured right now and I'm reverting back to v2 until my licence runs out. Thanks for your feedback.

14. elapsed

Did you try this?

15. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I did not have it ticked. I think I've tried everything in v3. It simply won't work. Good thing v2 works for me though. :)

16. elapsed

Oh well, I can't understand it. The only advice I have left is to recommend you try v4.

17. ThunderZ

You sure seem to have the hardware to handle it. May I ask how many processes you have [MOVE]running?[/MOVE]

18. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yes, I may have to resort to that. But I'm currently running v2 and it works just fine. I reckon it's not that worse than v3 when it comes to handling viruses or trojans or even adware.

I am running 38 processes. None of them are using more than 1-3% of my CPU.

19. ThunderZ

Really not that many. Have seen machines running far more with no ill effects. When the problem happens have you brought up Task Manager to see process usage?

20. shadek

shadek Registered Member

As I've written above, it's only a few % currently in use around the time the error occurs in µTorrent 1.8.1.

21. Avatar2000

I have Nod 32 V3 on both Windows 2000 SP4 with 196 MB of RAM & Vista Home Premium SP1 with 2 GB of RAM -- have no problem with either one of them & utorrent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.