using the bootable rescue CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Joanne2, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanne2

Joanne2 Registered Member

I'm using Windows XP SP3. I have the boxed version of ATI, which means that the CD should be bootable (so I haven't created one of my own). Since I'm a newbie at this kind of backing up, I'm working my way through Grover Hatcher's wonderful Beginner's Guide.

One of his steps is to boot with the TI Rescue CD, confirm that all the drives that are plugged in are recognized by TI, and then remove the CD and reboot into Windows.

Never having booted from a CD before, I'm nervous. Can I screw up anything? If everything works as it's supposed to, what will I see as I'm booting up? Will I end up at the regular XP screen or in TI or someplace else? What will happen when I remove the CD? How would I reboot at that point? If there are screenprints of what things should look like at each step, I'd be grateful for a link to them.

If booting with the CD doesn't work, what should I do?

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

No, you wouldn't screw up anything. The boot order in the Bios has to be set so the Optical drive is ahead of the hard drive. Just put the cd in the drive and do a Restart. If the cd boots, it will boot into a True Image screen. It it doesn't boot but the computer goes into Windows, then you have to change the boot order in the Bios.

It is likely that the retail True Image isn't the latest build for that version so it would be good to register online and see what the latest build is. Or let us know here what your retail version and build numbers are and someone will tell you if it is the latest.

3. Joanne2

Thank you! It helps tremendously to know not only what things should look like but that I can't screw up the process. I checked the build shortly after I bought the program--which is ATI 11 Home--and it looks like there's only one build. I have 8,053. Is that the latest?

Thank you again!

Jo-Anne

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Yes, 8053 is the latest, though someone bought True Image from Newegg and got build 8101, yet an official reply to the person emphasizes that 8053 is the latest released build. Some "monkey business" seems to be going on. :)

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Jo-Anne,
    While the retail disk is bootable, I suggest you go ahead and make a new one and let it be your work disk. The new disk will have no new features but you will know how to make a new Rescue CD when you upgrade to a new build.

My link below shows you how plus the link includes some more important info about your registering.

How To Create a TrueImageHome Rescue CD
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188253

6. Joanne2

Thank you both! I did register ATI before I did anything else. Thank you, Grover, for the link to BR1. That image is in your beginner's guide too--but without items 7 and 8, which are definitely helpful. I'll put the new page in my binder in place of the old image. And tonight I'll create the bootable CD and try booting from it. I'll report back.

Jo-Anne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.