Using Safe XP

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by tom772, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom772

tom772 Guest

hey all,

Ive recently been using Safe XP from> www.theorica.net

I really do like this program and i prefer it to secure it , as its easier to use and the help information with this program is really good. One thing i have noticed is that IE donst load properly as a result of using this program. At the moment im using the recommend settings.

I would reall be glad to know if anyone elase has had this problem or what what are the best setting to use.

Once again thank you very much for any help i recieve

''take care''

Tom

edited to fix your link - I'll remove your additional post that indicated you had misstyped the link - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2005
  2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm on my two XP machines I believe I'm also using recommended settings and had no problem. Then again, IE is seldom used on those machines but Firefox in its stead. What is the loading problem - IE itself or certain pages or...?

3. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Hi Detox,

IE dosnt load the hompage, also spywareblaster 3.4 says IE is set to insecure setting, so i fixed this in spywareblaster. All very strange! There also seems to be a new icon> (your computer Icon with a key), in the security tab in IE.

What do you think?

cheers Detox for your help

Tom

4. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have safeXP installed on both of my computers and have no problems (I don't think) with
    things since installing. I use Avant which is a shell for IE, just noticed the icon in the security tab - .NET reliant components/sites but there are no sites listed in there o_O

I remember wondering about the icon but never thought of SafeXP being the one to place it there! I have SpywareBlaster and have everything enabled but now that you say it I do remember the unsafe setting which I fixed but did not attribute to SafeXP at the time.
    My home page loads fine.

One thing I did not use was the 'recommended' settings, not that I didn't trust them but I knew which settings I wanted to use with the program. Everything is working for me at the moment and SpywareBlaster has remained in the safe level now. I have had this installed for a few months now but only now SBlaster things was related to this with your observations o_O

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use it and don't have problem with that.

It's a nice program to our security... ;)

6. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi Tom,

The " Your Computer Zone " is an Important extra security zone that everybody should enable. Set it up for maximum safety just as you would all the other Zones.

If people don't know about this or how to do it, then do Search on here for example, as there are many guides and links to help you.

StevieO

7. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Thanks for your reply,

I wonder if it donst give away to much info about your security, what settings would you recommend to disable or alter to make my system more secure. I kinda have some idea, but still not totally sure really what needs changing.

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but im still fairly new to the whole security thing, it can be daunting to some like myself!:)

T, cheers again for the reply

8. tom772

tom772 Guest

hey all:)
    Are there any links that give information on how to configure safe xp for individaul use?

9. tom772

tom772 Guest

Do you think its worth using the recommend setting?

cheers T

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

11. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

My settings are very much the same as the screenshot just a few more ticked for my setup.
    The only one I didn't have ticked is the one for IE disable automatic updates. I was confused about this one as I have never had an auto update for IE (I don't even use Windows Auto updater) I go to the update site and scan for updates.

If the one for IE is checked what affect would it have? I know there is a update hidden somewhere in Avant which I do not like - would this stop Avant seeking an update considering it is a shell for IE?

My Settings in 'My Computer Zone' are set to High.

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

No. I use Maxthon, but with Avant should be the same thing because the Avant updates doesn't have nothing be with IE, so you don't have any problem if you disable the Automatic Updates of IE... ;)

13. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks for this, I never update Avant anyway as the version I have is stable without too much bloat I don't need. IE is patched as and when released and no doubt v7 will be done via Windows Update - at least IE will not be calling home to check for nothing ;)

14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

SafeXP is a cool little product. I use it as well on all home machines. I do not use IE however, so I can't speak to any issues regarding it.

15. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

I check everything, only leave the update window service uncheck, and it still work as normal. ;)

16. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :oops:

I tried SafeXP but noticed that I could not update my MS AntiSpyware, whatever changes I made to it still I could not connect to the server. :p I doubt that I could not also connect to the windows updates, so I have no choice but to disable it and use ERUNT to restore my system just before I use SafeXP :doubt: and what a relief... :D I could already connect to MS AntiSpyware server and update it. :cool:

I will be more comfortable using Windows Worm Doors Cleaner(WWDC) to harden my system, since I'm only on dial-up I think I'm not as vulnerable as those using brodband connections. ;) :cool:

17. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

I had the same problem, due setting IE to work offline, that mean MSAS couldnt update. T

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I don't use the Windows AntiSpyware but did you have enabled the "Disable support for DCOM" and "Disable the Windows Update service"?

19. tom772

tom772 Guest

Vampire_Crow, Is it wise tick the part that says 'clear page file at shut down', can this cause system problems. T

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

As you can see from the help:

Clear Pagefile at Shutdown
    Windows does not normally clear or recreate the page file. On a heavily used system this can be both a security threat and performance drop. Enabling this setting will cause Windows to clear the page file whenever the system is shutdown.

And this isn't the cause for the Windows Update and MS AS...

21. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Questions and Concerns about Safe XP

Prior to knowing about Safe XP, I had performed many improvements to my security some of which may overlap to some extent with what Safe XP does. I have a few nagging questions and concerns because I am trying to answer the quesion of whether some of my previous changes may be stronger, weaker or the same than what Safe XP offers in some areas, e.g. hardening against DoS attacks as recommended by Windows XP Pro Resource Kit vs Prevent Denial of Service Attacks under TCP/IP & NetBIOS selections - are they the same as my current system state settings in the registry, are my (tweaked) DoS Attack prevention settings stronger, or will Safe XP weaken them?

Rest assured that I am only looking for guidance in these matters so that I may improve the existing security of my system.

I have the following concerns and questions about Safe XP because it is not entirely clear to me exactly how Safe XP operates, whether it does what I expect or something different, and perhaps some confusion on my part without knowing more detail.

My overall concern is about preservation and reversibility of the current state of system settings as distinguished from the current state of Safe XP menu selections, both prior to and after application via Safe XP Apply button.

Terminology:
    Prior to first execution startup of Safe XP - I will call this the initial system settings state - ISSS. ISSS does not represent the state of any one or all Safe XP menu selections, but of the entire system settting state independent of yet subject to modification and covered by all menu selections.

Questions:
    1) Does Safe XP analyze a current system setting state (i.e. covered by a menu selection) for each menu selection in order to determine that if it applies its standard modification whether it will:
    (1) not change the current system setting state (no improvement necessary),
    (2) improve the security of the system setting state (beneficial change),
    (3) weaken the security of the system setting state (detrimental change)?
    Or, does Safe XP not analyze a current system setting state and make standard changes assuming it is making improvements to the current system state settings as per a user request via menu selection?

2) With regard to the Save Settings to file function, does it preserve the ISSS or simply the state of the checked or unchecked selection of the boxes on the Safe XP menu as it currently exists?

3) How would one go about preserving the ISSS? Is that accomplished by the "Recover back to the state at the first run"? In other words, does "Recover back to the state at the first run" represent before or after the Apply button is operated and dependent or independent of the menu selections? Can Safe XP preserve the ISSS, or is it necessary to backup the registry with a tool like ERUNT to accomplish it, or is ERUNT insufficient to the task? If Safe XP can preserve the ISSS, how is it done? Is it recommended to run ERUNT prior to running Safe XP?

4) Does Safe XP preserve each menu selection setting before making a change so that any modifications are fully reversible? If only a subset, which ones, or are all or none reversible - back to the ISSS or back to the state of the first run (before/after Apply) menu selection settings?

5) Is Safe XP intelligent enough to know if a setting has already been disabled, e.g. if the guest account has already been disabled, what does Safe XP do: re-disable it, set it to manual from disabled, or check it first and leave it as is when the Restrict Anonymous Guest Access selection is checked?

Comment:
    It would be handy to be able to minimize the window via the standard method in the upper right-hand corner as opposed to closing and reopening the Safe XP window.

-- Tom

P.S. I have sent email to the author via yahoo, as the email form on the website was inoperable. I will, of course, post the reply, if any, here, but look forward to your views and opinions about my questions and concerns.

22. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    @Tom,
    To answer your questions, based on MY experience:
    SafeXP does recognize the existing setup and ticks things already selected, for instance disabled unpnp or messenger.
    You can save isss as many times as you want, just give it an appropriate name and the entire reg family of these keys will be saved. The initial state is the one you have prior to running safexp the first time, which in your case is isss.
    I have been using the problem without any issues whatsoever.
    Giving you a magic bullet menu is not possible, because everyone has their needs. For instance, file and printer sharing... if you have a home network, you might wanna share...
    Your system will not be weakened by safexp, it can only be weakened by YOU, since you are the one that clicks and selects options.
    Cheers,
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.