Using NOD32, Norton ConnectSafe, do I need Malwarebytes Pro?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CallMeAl, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Registered Member

Hi,
    Basically the subject says it all. I already have Nod32 Antivirus, and am using SafeConnect on my router. I've used the free version of Malwarebytes for years,and wouldn't mind supporting their product. The price is definitely fair, but I'm curious as to what I would actually be getting for $20 in light of what I'm already using? Nod32 is already checking file system objects and preventing Malware from being downloaded, while ConnectSafe is preventing me from going to known bad sites. Would Malwarebytes Pro offer anything I don't really already have, or would I just be adding a redundant layer and wasting CPU cycles at this point?
    thanks for any thoughts,

Al

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If you want to support the company you can go ahead and purchase the product. Since it is a lifetime license, it's really up to you whether you enable the realtime protection now or later. You do not have to run the real time protection if you don't want and you can leave that option open in case your situation changes in the future.

3. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Nobody can answer that question for you. I've never understood why people run several of these anti-virus solutions side-by-side.

In terms of real malware there will be an almost complete redundancy, at least for the widespread stuff. Regarding the brand new or very rare stuff, it could be that only one catches it... or both... or neither. Nobody can predict which of the three scenarios is more likely.

Regarding PUPs (potentially unwanted programs: toolbars, adware and such) I am not familiar with ESET. I know that Malwarebytes has a rather aggressive PUP policy but it often red-flags the whole installation package, meaning that legitimate software will be red-flagged just because it contains optional PUPs, but I am not sure if this is still the case.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET's takes stringent approach to potentially unwanted applications (and their cousins, the potentially unsafe applications). If you take a look in the old ESET Archived Forums, you will note that ESET is often the only program out of several dozen which detects a particular PUA, as well as numerous comments from the developers of PUA applications complaining about how "only ESET" detects their product as a PUA, while other companies do not.

For more information about ESET's stance on PUA's, I recommend reading the following:More information can be found on ESET's various web sites.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. ifacedown

ifacedown Registered Member

Yes, totally agree. I've been using ESET for 4 months now. Whenever I am downloading softwares on the net with some bundled PUP/PUA, Eset identifies the SPECIFIC PUP attached to it. I could then 'disconnect' and stop the download. If I chose to download it anyway, upon installment, the PUP is blocked, but NOT the real program. I believe it is ESET's new technology.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

9. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

What happened to Norton Connectsafe website? It has been down two days.

EDIT - Never mind back up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.