Using NOD32 as an on-demand scanner only

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by chapas, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chapas

chapas Registered Member

Hello sirs. I want to use NOD32, be it v3 or v4, as an on-demand virus scanner. I only want to use it from the context menu to scan certain files or folders, and occasionally a whole CD/DVD/drive, etc.

Is this possible in some way? My experience with v3 and v4 is that I can disable it temporarily, and when I reboot, everything is on again.

My reasons are, I can't have any performance penalty at all in my current system, be it hard drive, CPU time, or network, and on-demand scanning is all I need.

Thanks!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can disable http/pop3 checking, startup scan tasks as well as stop real-time protection from being started automatically. However, the purpose of protection modules is to protect your computer against threats and pure on-demand scans are not sufficient. On-demand scans may not reveal threats that might have otherwise been blocked by other protection modules.

3. chapas

chapas Registered Member

Marcos, thanks for the reply.

Bear in mind I'm in no need of the protection modules, and only want the scanning functionality.

4. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

Marcos curious, how would on demand not reveal in the same way?

the real time scans files as they are used. So simply results in a more regular scan?

I personally use http/email real time scan and startup scan only, with occasional manual full scan and on demand scan.

5. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Re: Using NOD as an on-demand scanner only

A real time scan would reveal an infection AFTER it occurred. If the virus carries a payload to disrupt, damage or destroy popular anti virus products you wouldn't even be able to do a on demand scan properly. By the time you do an on demand scan it could be too late and captured information could be in the hands of others.

You have to bear in mind that not all viruses come in via a direct route (i.e. email or download). You could pick up a program from an infected website (drive by download) and that could start downloading more viruses in the background. If NOD isn't scanning them as they come in it won't detect them. Whilst an On Demand Scan later might show them up and remove them the damage could be done already.

6. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

Re: Using NOD as an on-demand scanner only

paulb2005 or it would reveal it on a file that has been downloaded but not yet been executed. In over 10 years of computing, the only time I have seen people pickup viruses is when they click on the wrong thing, typically mean they visit some dodgy website or download some dodgy program.

The last time this happened (to my sister) she had real time checking on as well (possible 0day virus or some trojan not dealt with by typical AV), however she was using avg not nod32, now I have her on nod32 using my spare license.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.