Using Acronis to transfer to SSD

Discussion in 'hardware' started by DVD+R, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Now then!... heres a question, would using Acronis True Image Home to transfer my backup to an SSD degrade the performance at all? as its a normal HDD image, or would it not make a difference?

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I am not only King of Rapture (true lover of Prince of Peace), and I also King of Format.

Format is much better, less problematic and less time consuming, than imaging, cloning and so forth.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I installed an SSD drive using both an image and a real install. I could not tell the difference between the two. I used macrium for imaging.

Of more concern to me was that my images were using SATAII drive, and I did not have AHCI being used, so my image did not. I found a registry value to toggle, then reboot, then set BIOS to AHCI, then save BIOS and reboot. When OS loaded, AHCI was being used. AHCI made a fairly noticeable performance boost in measurments, and somewhat noticeable in average use. The SSD is very fast, so it is sort of hard to tell, but browsing a directory such as sys32 was the telltale sign for me. On SATAII drive 7500rpm after a defrag, as you drag the scroll bar up/down there was always a little delay as it read files, especially first time doing that after a boot. With SSD it is dang near instant, and with AHCI it is truly instant. I never get that little stutter I have been used to for years now in a directory like that.

I have an Intel SSD drive, and use thier software that features the TRIM functions. I also used SSDTweaker after studying some of what was supposed to be done differently with SSD, such as no search/prefetch/indexing and no defragging.

I have had no problems at all with my drive or anything I do. I did move the pagefile and caches to a standard disk drive though to minimize excessive read/writes that I don't want.

HTH.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.