use of archive

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by nfranken, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nfranken

nfranken Registered Member

Hi all,

Can somebody explain me the use of an archive? You cannot boot it. What else can you do with it? Can you import it to use it as a snapshot? (bootable)
    Thanks in advance for the answers.
    Regards
    Nick Franken

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Nick

Two major uses. One you can in effect keep extra snapshots off your c drive. Also for backup purposes. Any archive can be used to refresh a snapshot, or create a new snapshot, which is indeed bootable.

Pete

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

You can store an archive on a DVD, and you can restore from it in case your harddisk dies and you replaced it.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I wanted to know how much space FDISR needed on my system partition.
    So I started with one snapshot and got 10 snapshots at the very end and I was curious what FDISR would do when I tried to copy my 10th snapshot.

When you copy a snapshot FDISR gives you normally two options :
    <New Snapshot>
    <New Archive>

However, when you copy the 10th and last snapshot, FDISR gives you only one option :
    <New Archive>

So if you want more than 10 snapshots, you have to create "Archive Snapshots" and those are probably unlimited.

EDIT:
    Keep also in mind that you can keep those Archive Snapshots on another partition or harddisk.
    FDISR has a special setting to change the default folder for Archive Snapshots.
    I keep my Archive Snapshots for the moment on D:\FirstDefense - Archive Snapshots.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

ErikAlbert

It seems even you are beginning to appreciate the possibilities of this software.

6. nfranken

hi all,

Thanx for all the answers. Its all clear to me now how to use an archive.
    In the mean time i did some experimenting on creating an empty snapshot and installing a fresh xp in it. Works great!
    Regards
    Nick Franken

7. ErikAlbert

Not yet tobacco, I'm not using FD-ISR in practice, I'm testing and learning FD-ISR.
    And my testing was blocked for awhile, because I had MBR problems with restoring my images of ATI, because I have one system partition with FD-ISR and one without FD-ISR and restoring them was a problem for me and I lost two days freetime to solve and test this problem.

Tomorrow, I'm going to test the refreshing of snapshots, which seems to be the heart of FD-ISR according Peter. :D

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Well good luck and have fun.Maybe you should look at changing careers and become a software tester.You have an eye for the details!.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No, the heart of FDISR is restoring your system so quickly after you totally trash it. The refresh just means you have a current system to restore.

10. ErikAlbert

Well I'm already a software tester at work.
    Once the programming of one of my applications is finished by our computer department, I do the testing.

If our company decides to buy a software, I often do the testing, most of them are mainframe-softwares, which cost alot more than $30. So it better works.

I don't care how friendly the software vendor is, if the software isn't good enough, I ditch it.
    Years ago, I had almost a verbal fight with a Xerox vendor, concerning a software to design laser forms. I could prove it didn't work properly, no matter what the vendor told me. He was just a liar. We ditched it.

Once I had to test an telex-software for the mainframe. The software was good, but I found one bug after another. The software company came from Austria to take pictures of these bugs in order to fix them. LOL.

Once, IBM tried to fool me with a demo of DisplayWriter by using key-macros to make it look like it was easy to do, but IBM didn't know, I knew DisplayWriter already.

11. wilbertnl

Perhaps EricAlbert is trying to unleash impossibilities...

12. wilbertnl

That's one of my top favourite features of FD-ISR!

13. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

What about activation?There is already an active, activated copy running on the machine.I've heard microsoft can get picky after a few activations from the same copy of XP.

14. nfranken

Hi all,

Here is what I did to overcome also activating problems.
    Among firstdefense (just bought) I use drivesnapshot.exe. Maybe you have heard of it.
    It needs no installation, you can run it from whatever disk you wish.
    So my working xp version is backupped with an image made by drivesnapshot.exe.
    Also a clean fresh xp version image somewhere on disk f (usb disk) and for safety on a dvd.
    I installed firstdefense. Made a couple of snapshots of it among one archived on f.
    Then I put back my fresh xp drivesnapshot image. Reinstalled firstdefense and made an archive of it on f.
    Then I put back my day by day version of xp.
    Reinstalled first defense. Now at this moment I am busy "restoring" fresh xp archive which I made earlier.
    I am confident that from now on I can easely switch to a fresh xp version, without any activation problems.
    (and a lot faster than with drivesnapshot.exe, although its also a very good product)
    Regards
    Nick Franken

15. wilbertnl

You can activate a couple times, when you exceed that amount you have to call the activation center and tell them that you are a devoted re-installer.
    They don't make trouble out of it.

I also made an archive of a freshly installed and activated XP.

16. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

That has been precisely my experience. Not a problem.

17. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Just cruising and learning. Rainy friday night here.
    Tiddly winks and domestic CEO abed. I'm living it up here at wilders :D

Nick I have done similar to maintain fresh XP if needed.

I know this thread is old but I thought this may be of interest:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

A fairly definitive tutorial on activation and "voting"

And if you've nothing bettr to do, down the page:
    http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/best_of/wpa.htm

Lbd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.