USB2.0 Flash Drive - FAT32 or NTFS

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheKid7, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

What file system do you prefer for USB2.0 Flash Drives: FAT32 or NTFS and why?

Thanks in Advance.

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Unless you need the extra security control NTFS can give, or unless you need to store individual files larger than 4GB, then leaving it @ FAT32 doesn't hurt anything and leaves it a bit more universal. For eg., afaik Mac OS can read/write FAT32. But NTFS is read only.

3. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Always FAT32 for flash drives; I'll move to exFAT when it's more widely supported.

4. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

It depends on what I'm using it for. For example, my TV cannot play shows/movies from NTFS flash drives so I use FAT32 for that. Obviously if I need to store files that are over 4GB on it, then I use NTFS. Also, my favorite desktop search engine, Everything, requires NTFS so that's a consideration, whereas many programs that turn flash disks into bootable recovery disks often convert them to FAT or FAT32. In short, I prefer NTFS, but I'll use whatever the job requires.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.