USB Hard Drive not listed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mikecripp, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikecripp

mikecripp Registered Member

I am using Acronis True Image 11. I did a full backup of my c drive to my Seagate 500MB USB drive. When I use Acronis CD to boot, there is no reference to the USB drive. So I can't do a recovery. I am running Win XP media center with SP2. How do I get access to the USB drive. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It's a very common problem. It is because the True Image CD runs under Linux and it doesn't have the drivers for the chipset on the usb enclosure. The workaround is to make a BartPE cd that has the True Image plug-in. There's a whole thread devoted to doing this.

3. Aussie42

Aussie42 Registered Member

Another possibility is not to cold boot with the CD. By that I mean while windows is running plug in the drive and wait for windows to recognise it and see that it shows up in explorer. If this is fine, reboot the computer with your True Image disc in the drive and see if TI detects it. Also sometimes it takes a little while for the usb drive to be detected form the boot CD, so I suggest you go and make a coffee while the CD is booting!

4. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

This was the only way I could see my USB Hardrive, but then the trouble with that is, what if the drive is so bad and you can't boot into windows and do a "warm boot". I did a test by turning off the computer and turning on the usb drive then booting up ( cold booting) with the rescue CD but, I could not see my USB and I was worried. Because I could see the usb drive when it was plugged in using windows and doing a restart ( warm boot), I decided to try leaving the drive turned on and rebooting from the Acronis loader by closing the program. ( this causes a reboot from the CD) For some reason the usb drive would show up on the second "rescue" boot. Maybe if you are lucky this may work for you.
    If not I would highly recommend making a BartPE it is quite easy to do. ( I found much easier then VistaPE). All my rescue disks have worked so far but, I still make extra boot disks ( BartPe and VistaPE) a fellow can't be too careful.
    Good luck to you.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mikecripp,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please make sure you use the latest build (8053) of Acronis True Image 11 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also try connecting and powering on the drive before booting into Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report, Windows system information and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. Rahan

Rahan Registered Member

Hi,

you can try this :

Go on this BIOS ( reboot and when the firts page appear push many time on suppr bouton).you will arrive on the BIOS (bleu background).

Then find the USB configuration,enter in,and find a line call "Legacy" or "Legacy USB support" something like that.

And be sure that she's on "Enable" if not put it on.Then reboot.Power on your externel Hard drive and Boot with the True image CD.

Maybe can work.

Bye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.