usb Flash drives gets hot, what's ur thoughts?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by sweater, May 9, 2016.

1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    How's ur reaction bout portable usb flash drives gettin hot easily when plug-in....even just 5 minutes?

Does it pose some danger to pc or even to the flash drive itself with the possibility of it to malfunction and could erase datas inside?

Or it is just ok and natural especially is it's a SanDisk brand? coz even their cheaper models can withstand heat and are reliable and tested?

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Many do get hot but never so hot you cannot hold it (unless faulty). But heat is the main enemy to all electronics so if nothing else, it could be increasing component aging. As far as damage to the PC, it shouldn't. But when components fail, strange things can happen when it comes to electricity. If you are not comfortable with it, I would suggest you trust your instincts and only use this drive for quick, temporary use, and disconnect it when not in use.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

4. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I tend to buy metal ones for heat dissipation but they still get hot.

5. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

What it means "Hot"? How Many degrees is hot?

6. quietman

quietman Registered Member

I notice that running Linux Live off a usb stick causes it to get warmer than usual.
    I only have plastic ones and various different makes .

I've got an infra-red temperature scanner somewhere , but like everything else
    that I haven't used in a while , it's not where it's supposed to be ....
    When ( or if ) I find it , I'll run some tests and post back here .

BTW , I agree with Bill_Bright.... a few degrees is nothing to be alarmed about

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I should also note that if the drive's case is getting warm, that is heat pulled away from the actual memory devices inside - a good thing. I would say just make sure the device remains clear of obstacles so air is free to circulate around it. Now if the plastic becomes discolored or worse, starts to deform (melt), then get rid of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.