USB flash drive is painfully slow in Vista but not XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Anyone know of a simple reason for why a USB flash drive would zip right along in XP but not in Vista? It's a PNY Attache 8GB. Some of the folders on it are big, 400-500MB for a few of them. When I go to open one of them in Vista, everything grinds to a halt for about 60 seconds, then it opens. Sometimes when I plug it in, it'll take a painfully long time for the icons to appear. It doesn't do any of this in XP. Everything is virtually instantaneous. It doesn't make any sense cause the XP machine is much older with a slower processoer and less memory. I tried a Sandisk but it did exactly the same thing so I'm thinking it must be Vista. Any ideas?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Fully patched Vista? What security software in use, assuming there is one?

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

1) Ensure you installed the correct Intel Chipset Drivers
    2) Open Device Manager, go to Disk Drivers, right click on your USB Flash Drive then go to properties, go to Policies, select high performance, then restart your PC

4. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. Vista's up to date and is running the same security setup as XP. High performance isn't really an option for me cause we constantly have power outages where I live. I can't stand having to always safely remove every time anyway. That may very well be what the problem is but I'll never know.

I just moved the largest folders I never use to CDs and now it seems to be okay.

Appreciate the feedback. :)

5. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

it may be your security software checking files. try booting into safe mode and see if the problem persists this will help with any possible driver issues ie. whether your drivers are outdated or possibly for the wrong chipset. is the drive formatted in ntfs or fat32 ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.