USB External ..Fragmented?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by starsfan09, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Howard, thanks for you imput.
    Gzzz, ...I can't believe there's a few here that doesn't believe in "Defragging" a Hard Drive.

For all you Non believers...Do this...Reinstall Windows XP, and all your programs...and never ever ever run Defrag afterwords, and I personally guarantee - you'll have a very, very f#$!ed up, slow running computer!!! :blink:

2. starsfan09

<snip>

I disagree ::: Defragging a HD, will help make a smoother Back-up....therefore resulting in a smoother Restore. That makes Acronis look better. See...they go "hand and hand". :D

edited to remove OT remark - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2006
  3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I obtained my second oldest system in 2001 and have defragged AT THE MOST maybe 3 times. If you’re spinning FAT16 formatted drives at 4500 RPM, then regular defragging may help you. Your guarantee and the logic behind it is just plain wrong. Just like anyone who believes the “1.5 X RAM” page file nonsense.

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

They do not believe because they do not understand file systems, etc.

5. starsfan09

Doesn't matter what speed it is...Defragging will help any Hard Drive perform better.
    I have a Western Digital "Raptor" 74gb 10,000rpm, with about 9Gb of data on it...and I can see a difference when I Defrag. Seek time is quicker; Read time is smoother; and Write ..is lightening fast!

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Kerect.

Hardware's got nothing to do with fragmentation.
    It's a pure file system issue.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

That claim is also over the top. Reread your own thread. I have been discussing the need for defragging the source and target drives before and after imaging and backup. I defrag 6 machines in my home every night with PerfectDisk. Don't try to push everyone willing to discuss the issue with you into the naysayer class, m'kay ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.