Usable VPN for android phones?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Gnikf, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

I'm using the FEAT VPN app to set VPN on my android 4.1.1 phone. It's the app recommended by the VPN provider.
    The thing is that I have to disconnect it and reconnect manually to the VPN everyone the phone switches from WIFI to 3G and the other way around.
    That means that when you are on the move, instead of connected all the time you are disconnected all the time and it's big pain in the ass to constantly reconnect to the VPN.
    I understood it's normal for the VPN to need reconnection when you change your real IP but isn't there a way to at least automate that?
    Maybe some other "smarter" app that can do that automatically?

What's your experience with VPN and android?

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Look for 'OpenVPN for Android' by Arne Schwabe. I don't know if you need to be root on 4.1.1 or not for this...I'm root on my Nexus 7 and never tried un-rooted. But, it will switch from 3G to Wifi if you check that settings box supposedly...never tried it on my phone.

PD

3. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

That will do the job, thank you!
    now i have to figure out how to configure it :)

4. PaulyDefran

Pretty simple. Put the .ovpn file (w/embedded certs) or a folder with the .ovpn file and certs, on your SD Card somewhere. Open the app and go to "Your Precious VPNs", and then import. I left the defaults for all the settings on my tablet (no 3G capabilities), but you'd just check that box to switch from WiFi to 3G. But again, I'm not using it on a phone...good luck!

PD

5. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

I'm still having difficulties.
    I'm choosing User/PW + certificate from the "Type" drop down menu, but can't import them at once.

6. PaulyDefran

My VPN only uses certs, so I'm no help with that. Can you put the User/Pass in the .ovpn file? I think you can, and the program will apply the options on import.

PD

7. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

it is there, but still it can't import everything somehow :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.