"Upgrading" to Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Spinny, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinny

Spinny Registered Member

I currently use TrueImage 8.0 on my XP system. I'm going to be replacing my system with one that runs Vista. I understand I need to upgrade my version to at least 10.0, and that's not a problem. My question is this:

I understand from these forums that 8.0 won't even install on Vista. Now, if I purchase an 11.0 upgrade, instead of a full installation, does that mean I'd normally have to install 8.0 first, then 11.0 over that, or does the 11.0 "upgrade" actually install clean? If the former, obviously buying the upgrade version would do me no good.

Help?

Thanks much in advance!

2. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

No, all you have to do is install the V11 upgrade, you don't install over V8, it will ask you for the V11 serial number, and then it will ask you for the V8 serial number, then simply continue with the installation. Thats all.

As V8 is "old" can you update from it ?

3. Spinny

Spinny Registered Member

Thanks!

Awesome question. Nothing on the purchase page indicates there's a limit on how "previous" your version can be to qualify. o_O

4. Spinny

Spinny Registered Member

Heck with it. They've saved my bacon twice in the past, they can have the extra twenty bucks. I just ordered the full version. Besides, if I decide to hang on to this machine after I get the new Vista one I'll be able to keep v8.0 on it legally. Everybody wins. :cool:

Thanks again for the info.

5. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

After posting my reply above in another thread that you can update from V8.

I ommited to say you do not need V8 installed to upgrade, as I said all you need is the V8 serial number.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I do this also. It's nice to be able to use the old version on an older machine and feel honest. :) Plus, you don't have to keep track of two serial numbers for the new version.

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Each version or build of True Image Home is a standalone version. None of which require a previous installation to be installed. Whenever I am ready to install a True Image, I always un-install the prior version. Some have successfully overwritten previous builds while others have found major problem trying to overlay a new version. My motto for TI is to always un-install first. Whenevery you install fresh, you will need the appropriate serial numbers for whatever version you are installing.

When I create a TI Rescue CD, I make it a practice of writing the serial number and the version/build number and I save each version of CD that I make. I have used version 8-9-10 and each of these Rescue CD's have their version and build and serial numbers written on them with a Sharpie. Sometimes you can use a new version to restore an old version but that is not always true. Most of the time, you cannot use an old version CD to restore a new version backup. Again, my motto is don't try. Be prepared and save the older version CD's. Just use the same version CD that was used to create the backup--unless a new version fixes a bug, etc.

If you upgrade, To be really safe, we should know what version and build each backup was created with. This would not be too difficult with the proper naming of folders or backup files, etc. If you only using one version (like me, I'm using 10/4942 for many many months), then there is litle need to have that information--unless the situation changes.

It is a good practice to sure the TI Rescue CD is working and careful with its condition. While you can perform a restore of a data or non-system disk from within Windows, restoring a system disk should be done when booted from the TI Rescue CD. This procedure offers the best chance for success.

And an even better solution for some is to use MudCrab's guide to create an Acronis Bootable USB hard drive. Then you can use the bootable hard drive in place of the Rescue CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.