Upgrading RA and Server from 2.7 to 3.0

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Adramalech, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adramalech

Adramalech Registered Member

Hi Everybody,

I was wondering if there was some sort of procedure to upgrade an enterprise installation of NOD32 v2.7 to v3.0. The License file is ok but about anything else I'm uncertain:

- will the settings remain if I run the MSI files of v3.0 on the current server
    - will clients be automatically upgraded (bad) or do I have to push it

I tried to search but I couldn’t find any documentation.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Adra

P.S.: One other thing, if we decided to go for Smart Security later, do we have to roll-out the clients once again?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Wow - almost a month and no answer.

I love ESETs software, but their lack of clear, concise instructions for things like this is a glaring defect which I have commented on before.

Please, would someone answer the question? Are there any step by step instructions for updating from a 1.x-RA / 2.7.x-AV enterprise installation to the new v2-RA / 3.x-AV/ESS?

Specifically:

1. Does the new v2 of the RA support v2.7 AV clients? Meaning, can I update the RA server first, and have it continue servicing the 2.7 clients (signature updates etc) until I am able to update them all?

2. Will I be able to use the new v2-RA to push-uninstall the old 2.7 version, then push-install the new 3.0 version? Or should I use the old 1.x-RA to uninstall the 2.7 clients, then use the new v2-RA to push out the new version?

3. The 'Remote Administrator Installation Manual' says that to perform a complete deployment, I must first install the ERAS (done - but no indication of it anywhere other than in the Installed Software list), then the ERAC (done), then the Mirror Server. The Mirror Server used to be a special version of the AV software, but I THINK I've figured out that this is no longer the case, since I see that I can 'Create' the mirror from the ERAC (the Installation manual should be changed to 'enable/configure', NOT 'install')...

But what about the AV/ESS itself? Do I just install that too, then point it to the update server?

I found this in the Installation Manual:

"NOTE: On servers with ERAS, the ERA client [WHAT IS THAT - PLEASE BE SPECIFIC] should also be installed. ERAS uses the current virus signature database version number as a reference number for clients. Installation of a solution with the LAN Update Server (Mirror) [I THOUGHT THERE WAS NO MORE LAN UPDATE SERVERo_O] is recommended."

Would someone who KNOWS what this paragraph means, please take pity and explain it in plain english?

Does ERA client = either eavbe_nt32_enu.msi (for the Antivirus program) or essbe_nt32_enu.msi (for the Security Suite program)?

What is meant by 'LAN Update Server' above? It is referred to as if it were a separate program...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  3. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Another question on the Mirror...

In the Installation Manual, with respect to the location of the mirror folder, it says:

"Select the 'Create update mirror' option and enter a path to the folder which will store the update files. By default this is a relative path [RELATIVE TO WHATo_O] to the Mirror folder, as long as the option 'Provide update files via internal HTTP server' is selected and is available on the HTTP port defined in 'HTTP server port' (by default 2221)."

So, do I enter a path like 'C:\mirror'? Or just leave it as it is (mirror\) (I am using the HTTP server)?

4. Adramalech

Adramalech Registered Member

As for my questions at least, I installed server and console V3 on a fresh Windows Server installation. So far, it appears that you can at least uninstall and install V 2.7 with V 3.0 Server. You can see that if you go to the installation package section.

And there a section about Encryption in the Server options that clearly mention the coexistence of V2.7 and V3, either Security or Antivirus only. This is quite puzzling as some of the threads here talk about V3 server not being able to host V2.7 clients. Well, maybe it was just about updating and the mirror but I guess I'll stick with what I see with my own eyes.

5. Manu7204

Manu7204 Registered Member

The new ERA v2.x server/console is able to manage NOD32 v2 antivirus clients but is not able to update them, so you need to keep a lan-update server for v2 clients.

The path for mirror folder is something like:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET Remote Administrator\Server\mirror"

regarding the v3 clients, what i did was to install a client on a machine, customise whatever settings (update settings, set the ip of the ERA Server, etc), then export the .xml settings, then use that xml to create a package that in the end will be pushed to the clients.

anyway, i found the manuals pretty OK and also the ERA Console pretty intuitive, but have to admit i had to do some digging to find the mirror folder.

2nd edit: it is recomended NOT to use the http update provided by ERA Server (since it tends to jam at least once per day - see the "IS ERA HTTP SERVER BROKEN" thread) but the LAN Update (iirc you have to share the mirror folder and point the clients to it)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    When creating the mirror...you enter it via windows explorer path. I always make it on the secondary partition/spindle/array on the server..such as D:\...where I keep the rest of the company shared data. Better performance...I don't like to have shares and data on the same spindle as the OS is on.

7. Goochland

Goochland Registered Member

I too am trying to figure out how to upgrade with no instructions. From what I'm seeing in this thread, you really need to setup a new server for the new version - is that correct? No upgrade in place (for the server pieces)?

8. Goochland

Got the following response from Eset.....

An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:
    Hello,

To upgrade your network to the newest version you need to uninstall all the old software first: RA server , RA console, and lan update server.

Then install the new RA server and console.

Push out an uninstallation package so that you uninstall 2.7 and then push out the new 3.0 version.

The only difference between the old and new RA server and console is that in the new versions you don't need the lan update server,this is configured in the new Ra server and console under Tools>server options> update tab.

So once you have installed the new RA server the old 2.7 clients will not be able to update until they are upgraded to ver. 3.0 and configured to use the new update "mirror".

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks
    ESET

9. Goochland

After receiving the info from Eset in my previous post, I got another response with this info on upgrading:

An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:
    Hello,

To upgrade client workstations from ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2.x to ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0 (or ESET Smart Security), first upgrade ESET Remote Administrator to the latest version.

Upgrading ESET Remote Administator

Download the latest version of ESET Remote Administrator Console and ESET Remote Administrator Server and install them over the existing versions. During the installation process, you will be prompted for the level of data you wish to import. Regardless of the level you select, all clients will be imported.

Uninstalling 2.x from client workstations

First, push an uninstall package to existing 2.7 clients using these steps:
    Open the ERA Console and click the Install button on the Remote Install tab.

From the Type menu, select Uninstall ESET Security Products and NOD32 version 2.

Add your clients by dragging them left to right into the main grid. Entire workgroups can be moved at the same time. After all clients have been added, click Uninstall. This will require client workstations to be restarted.

Installing 3.0 on client workstations

From the Remote Install tab, create an installation package by clicking the Packages button.

Click Add, click Download from the web, and download the desired package. After downloading, you can configure the package to your specifications.

NOTE: You cannot import settings from an old package or an old configuration and apply them to a 3.0 installation.

Once you have configured the package, click the Install button on the Remote Install tab and select your new package from the Package menu. Add your clients by dragging them left to right into the main grid. Click the Install button. You are finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.