Upgrading Process Guard = Reconfigure everything?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nameless, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Just to ensure I understand this correctly: Whenever an upgrade to Process Guard is performed (such as the upcoming 1.200 -> 1.250 upgrade), it will be necessary to delete pguard.dat first, and therefore everything will need to be reconfigured?

I hope I'm wrong, because that's pretty dreadful.

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Does the new version at least let you save your "protected" list, so that you don't have to run through all your program exe's again and add them? Pete

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I believe what Jason means is that we can save away pguard.dat, then remove PG 1.2, install PG 1.25, and then overwrite the pguard.dat with the copy we saved away.

Suspect that will work on this upcoming version, but may not work with a major version change in the future, depending on the degree of overall changes.

JMO

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I am running 1.250 here, not using the normal install method for the beta and did not change my .dat file and had no problems with the listed Apps
    Only the procguard.sys & procguard.exe have changed for the beta, It may depend on what other files are changed, if any, when DCS releases the new version.

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

The pguard.DAT format will rarely change, it needed to change for v1.200 but I can't see it needing to change for a while now.

The reason we always delete pguard.dat in the installer is to remove compatibility problems with people using say v1.000 pguard.dat with v1.250 or v1.200 . Advanced users who know what is and isn't compatible can simply copy their pguard.dat to some other place, uninstall Process Guard, install the new version, and before doing anything else like activating Process Guard, copy the old one back to where it used to be.

It would be good if we could provide a pguard.dat "upgrader" but for all versions thus far this hasn't been feasible, so we havn't.

-Jason-

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks for the information Jason :D

7. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Note to self: Disable email notifications from now on.

8. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

It seems that several additions/fixes are being incorporated in the impending PG 1.250 upgrade.

Please let us know at the time you announce the release of PG 1.25 if we can still save away pguard.dat and then overwrite the PG 1.25 pguard.dat to reclaim our previous program list and settings from PG 1.20.

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

No changes will be made to pguard.dat for a while, its format is "open" to change in regards to adding more General Protection Options, Block Options, Allow Options, without breaking the format, so unless otherwise stated, assume it hasn't changed. :)

-Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.