Upgrading from PS Free to Full version

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Baldrick, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Have downloaded the Full version but I am wondering whether I can just install the Full version over the Free version that I have already installed, and there by keep my existing rules or whether I can import rules saved in the Free version, uninstall the Free version, install the Full version and then import the previously saved ruleso_O?

I am looking for the best way of doing this. If anyone out there knows would they be able to advise?:D

2. PSDeveloper

PSDeveloper Registered Member

Thanks for your upgrading at first!
    It's strange PS didn't import existing rules by auto., but please check if \Program Files\ProSecurity\Update\ExportRules.ini exists. If yes, please import it, it's the backup rules while updating from the free vesion.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  3. Baldrick

Hi PSDeveloper

Another little problem that I have found as a result of upgrading from Free to Full Version is that in the case of 'Registry Protection' and 'File Protection' the user manual states that "Some default rules will be created automatically after the system has been installed." When I look under either of these NO rules have been created as illustrated in the user manual. All I have in each case is an [All] in the 'Group' Column and nothing in and when slected NOTHING shows in the right hand panel. I believe that the install of the Full version should have created some default rules.

Is it because I upgraded rather than did a clean install that this has happened? How do I introduce the default rules? Should I export my rule set, uninstall the product, reinstall the product and then import the saved rule set? Or should I run the Rules Wizard? But if I do will that duplicate the rules already created by the wizard when I installed the Free version and that were carried over when I upgraded to the Full version?

Hope that you can help as I feel that my protection is lacking!

4. PSDeveloper

PSDeveloper Registered Member

I'm sorry. PS full v1.30 has a bug on this, if user doesn't use the rule general wizard, there will no default file/registry rules.
    Actually there are default file/registry rules in the \Program Files\ProSecurity\DefRules folder.
    Please import the default rules from these steps:
    Settings->Tools->Import->Select the rule file->Click on the Import button

5. Baldrick

Hi PSDeveloper

Many thanks for the prompt reply. No need to apologise. Have applied the workaround suggested, which worked fine, and I now have the approrpiate protection as you designed it. That is great.:D

Am looking forward to version 1.4; might try the beta but as I am new to PS it may be better to wait to beta test until the version after 1.4.;)

Love the product (it does seem to be the natural successor to ProcessGuard in terms of appraoch, style and effectivity). Keep up the good work.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.