Upgraded to Firefox 8 - and all is well

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

All of my fears were unfounded, it turns out. Or, perhaps the reason the transition was smooth was because I waited awhile to iron out the wrinkles, and get some of these add-on's compatible?

All of my add-on's work just fine. That's what I was worried about. Was also worried that it'd be so different that it'd take awhile to get used to. The interface is basically the exact same as 3. So is about:config. All the old tweaks I used for 3, I use here on 8 as well. I thought I'd have to learn my way around about:config all over again. That was another fear.

And, it's without question faster than 3. I was highly skeptical of the claims of increased speed, since usually with newer versions of things come more bloat. It boots up much quicker, and page loads are noticeable snappier as well, especially ones with a lot of thumbnails on it (i.e. Youtube subs). I certainly notice these things because I only have a 1.5m connection. Perhaps people with really fast connections won't notice these differences I am.

It gets 2 big thumbs up from me :thumb: :thumb:

People still sticking with 3, do yourself a favor and upgrade. You will not regret it, especially if you're running on older specs like I am (1 GB ram).

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm shocked ;)

PS: Aurora is wonderful too :D

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I think the vast majority of upgrades go off without a hitch.

4. luciddream

The only thing I'd like to change is this hyperlink that pops up in the bottom, left hand part of the screen. Is there any way to remove that?

I still think it's a good idea to wait awhile before major upgrades, to let it "mature" a bit. That's why my transitions are usually smooth like this, me thinks. But I'm here to tell other people in the same boat as me, that it's time to move on. This is a polished product.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't think there is any way to change the hyperlink thing. I never notice it since the bottom of my browser is the last place I look, and I notice things on the right more than the left in the first place, lol. As far as people staying on v3, you'll always have those people. They're the same kind that are still sticking to XP, in my opinion. I'm all in favor of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but not at the expense of security and performance improvements. Though I do admit if a product starts a "social" obsession, I lose interest rather quickly.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Taking your second point first.... I've not had problems since v4 onwards. Maybe it's because I limited the extensions I use to actively developed ones and just a few.

Your comment about "mature" is misplaced, IMHO.

Now, you can put this code in your userChrome.css:
    Code:
    statuspanel { display: none !important}

though why one would want not to know where a link will go beats me :D

7. luciddream

I'd imagine a lot of people are still on XP because they don't have the money for a new computer, or at least can't justify spending it when the one they have works just fine. Foolishly squandering that money on food & heat instead (Fletch Lives reference).

I imagine this is the case for some, because it's the case for me. Can't hate on people for being poor. So I'll probably be sticking with XP until they flat out don't support it anymore. Then I'll build a new computer.

P.S. - I do certainly want to know where a link is taking me. I guess I'm just not used to it being where it is. Also, I always had Keyscrambler pop up on that part of my screen, and I think the two are causing a glitch (there's a black spot on the screen after KS goes away). That is one thing I forgot to mention... the only problem I ran into actually. So now I just have KS on my taskbar instead.

8. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I'm running FF8 on one XP machine. I wouldn't generalize as in my case, I can't afford migrating to W7 at the moment.

9. Hungry Man

I think he means the people who choose to stay on XP rather than the people who would move to 7 if they could but can't for other reasons.

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Isn't that the URL address the browser is finding? I'm pretty sure that you can find that on most browsers.

11. Daveski17

I avoided the whole #3 series of Fx, it was a huge disappointment for me. But since #4 things have changed. Firefox 8 is now my default browser on both notebook & desktop. It's been a while since Fx has been my default browser, & my notebook, which had Iron on default for quite a while, & also has only a Gig of RAM, runs Fx 8 beautifully.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's exactly who I meant. I'm well aware there are financial (for home users and very small businesses) reasons that can't be helped.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Chrome has it as well. But you can't modify its appearance or position in Chrome. It's possible to modify both in Firefox if one is so inclined.

I'd view it as a very simple security measure that extremely useful.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This post is a collector's item. You didn't plug SeaMonkey. Why o_O

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

You can install this addon and get a status bar similar to v3 and it will remove the popup, if you wish. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/status-4-evar/?src=ss

If that's not what you want I'm sure there is a way to turn if off.

16. Hungry Man

If I had sandboxie working on Win8 I'd give Firefox a try. I might anyways.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Because some people, no matter how much they might adore something, know when to give up? :D

18. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

That's definitely one scenario. I have copies of Windows 7 and three crates that will run just fine. Only problem is, I can't stand Windows 7 so I'm sticking to XP and 2K3.

Check out Status-4-Evar, the link that xxJackxx posted. It gets you about as close as you can to having the old status bar. Then you have the url there instead of in that pop up.

19. Daveski17

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  20. Daveski17

I still 'heart' SeaMonkey. :D

21. Daveski17

And there was me thinking I was seeing things ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.