Upgraded to Eset Nod32 BE 4.0.474 - computer hangs at login after reboot

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by herira, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herira

herira Registered Member

SOLVED: Upgraded to Eset Nod32 BE 4.0.474 - computer hangs at login after reboot

Hi

I recently did an upgrade of Eset Nod32 BE 4.0.474 on a fully patched Windows Vista SP2 - 32 bit, Danish.

This upgrade was done over an older Eset BE 4 (don't recall the exact version number, but fairly recent), keeping it's configuration.

Installation seemed to go fine, but after reboot the computer started hanging at login - sometimes never leaving the login screen, sometimes showing some or all of the desktop.

The mouse often stays responsive (if at desktop), but login never completes, no programs can be started, and computer doesn't respond to CTRL-ALT-DEL.

I first tried rebooting into safe mode to disable the Eset service, but this didn't change anything.

I then booted in to safe mode and used the official uninstall tool.

After a new reboot computer was back to normal.

I have since tried to install several times more (and to repair), and tried with the 4.2 Beta, result has every time been that Nod32 (and Windows) complains about Nod32 not being able to start right after installation, and that computer becomes unresponsive after reboot, with removal via safemode and uninstall tool as only option.

I have scanned the disk (including bad sector scan), and is currently running a memtest that doesn't seem to find anything.

I have also done a virus scan using Eset onlinescan and Bitdefenders onlinescan, finding nothing.

And I have verified that no other AV products are currently installed.

How do I proceed from here? o_O

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please generate a complete (or at least kernel) memory dump from the moment when the system is unresponsive per the instructions here? Let me know when done so that I can provide you further instructions where to upload the dump.

3. herira

herira Registered Member

Hi Marcos

Thank you for your response.

I have made a complete dump after installing Nod32 BE 4.0.474 in trial mode. Installation ended as before with Nod32 and Windows complaining about protection not running.

I then rebooted, and computer this time hung right after I pressed enter, having written my administrator password - so desktop never showed.

There was lots of disk activity after I pressed enter, I gave it 5 minutes but nothing happened.

Then I forced the dump.

EDIT: And then I realize the complete dump is 2 GB, and I'm sitting on a 2 Mbit/s connection right now. So, going to create a new kernel dump instead. Assume it's done in 5 - 10 minutes. :)

EDIT: Kernel dump done. Same installation. This time computer made it to desktop, showed a few icons in the icon tray, and partially opened Start Menu.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This is a well known problem of the file MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase on Lenovo notebooks. Searching for it will yield a lot of results with problems related to this file so it's not something related solely to ESET.

EAV/ESS 4.2 has a workaround to this issue already incorporated.

5. herira

herira Registered Member

Installed newly released Nod32 BE 4.2.35.0 as advised, and problem was solved.

Thanks Marcos!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.