Updating Remote Clients

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by thenoble06, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenoble06

thenoble06 Registered Member

Hello,

We have successfully installed NOD32 across our wired network - all 100+ clients look to the NOD mirror on site to get the updates. No problems - all very easy to set up.

We are now trying to configure NOD for Remote Access users (laptops). These users are able to access the internet, and they can also VPN into our network. If they do VPN though - they can not access the internet at the same time.

We set these Remote Access users to complete a Regular Update every hour - looking directly at the Eset servers as the primary profile and then looking at our Mirror server as the secondary profile. Using this method though causes us to recieve 'failure to connect' email messages. This is because if the user is working offline - ie no internet connection or VPN connection he can not update. If he is connected to the internet (not the VPN) then he will update fine. But if he is connected to the VPN (where he has no internet access) then again the update will fail (and then update correctly when the second profile kicks in after an hour).

What I'm trying to get at (in a long winded way it seems :eek: ) is how can we have remote users with the latest definitions but with no failure to connect errors. How have other sites set there Remote Users up?

We could of course just set the users to update directly from Eset when they establish an internet connection - but that might mean they are only up dating once a day (and Eset sometimes bring 2 or 3 defs out a day).

Anyone any ideas?

A

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I set my laptops users to update directly from Esets public servers, and to remote into the remote admin server so that I can view their status whenever I check on RAC.

They would update soon as they booted up on their connection..and should have the def's pulled down by the time the user fires up their VPN client.

The failure to connect messages..no biggie...that would be expected. As long as they report in every now and then so you can keep and eye on them...I'd not want it to e-mail me for those, personally I'd kill that.

3. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

First suggestion would be to have a look in the EE and RAC tutorial at the section on Notebooks and Dual Update profiles.

Some connection errors in the log are inevitable and quite normal.

Basically setup for dual update profiles the norm would be to update first from local mirror then try ESET and if you wish the 'Update on Dialup' task can be the other way around.

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.