Updating CPU Driver

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Aaron Here, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I have a 5-year old laptop with an AMD Sempron processor. Well I recently installed Driver Magician and it found a more current AMD driver than the one being used.

Having downloaded the driver, it wants me to uninstall the existing driver before installing the newer one and then restart Windows (before installing the newer driver). My concern is that if I uninstall the driver the system my not restart ....is that concern valid? :doubt:

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I suppose that Driver Magician found the Cool 'n' Quiet driver. You don't need drivers for CPUs.

3. Aaron Here

Well the thing is I've been getting some fatal errors (and according to the MS report, they are being caused by some device driver). That's why I got Driver Magician, to find any drivers that may need updating!

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi again lucas :) You do, but they are natively installed by the OS itself.

processr.jpg

I have never seen a CPU driver issued by the manufacturer. I may be wrong, perhaps for some old processors, much older than Aaron's.

I'd agree with lucas, this must be Cool'n'Quiet. I don't know how is this app useful, I have never used it so cannot comment.

In the event log? Post them here, someone may help. It is not very wise to fix "some" errors by randomly updating "some" drivers.

5. Aaron Here

Not in the event log, the info to the effect 'the fatal error was caused by a driver' is presented everytime I send the error report to MS. Unfortunately, it doesn't identify which driver is the culprit.

Fwiw, it seems to happen most frequently when I'm running Kodak EasyShare.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I should have explained that a little better :D
    Me neither.
    Without this driver, CnQ (on the fly adjustment of clock speeds according to load level) will not work under Windows. The newer K10 core does not require this driver anymore.
    Kodak's software can be quite unstable on certain configurations.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

You should look for any red entries there first. Seems like you have some kind of software conflict, updating a driver will hardly fix it.
    It is a shot in the dark, but since you mentioned Kodak, what is the state of your Windows Image Acquisition service? Try setting it to "automatic" and reboot.

Thanks for the info. This app is not for me, I like my machines Hot'n'Loud. lol

I'm here to help you whenever I can buddy ;)

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.