Updated from WinXP to WinXP SP2 - Alexa Data miner not dected anymore?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chew, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi all

I am just curious because I used to detect plenty of Alexa tracking cookies / data miner with my Ad-aware SE but not anymore.

Scenarios:

1) First, I updated my WinXP to WinXP SP1a and then later on I log onto WindowsUpdate to update more security patches.

Upon completion of the full update I did a full system scan using Ad-aware SE and found 11 Alexa tracking cookies / data miners. I proceeded to use Ad-aware SE to get rid of them.

Then I went back to WindowsUpdate and again I was asked if I want to accept cookies ... so I did inorder to smoothly download the patches ... I forgot to scan the second time but I was going to reformat my system anyware ...

(I knew I had tracking cookies because while doing WindowsUpdate I let Microsoft website to set Cookies. I accepted cookies.)

2) After the above, I was told to get WinXP SP2. So I did. I reformatted my HD to include XP SP2.

So I went to update via WindowsUpdate again. Again it asked me if I would accept cookies. I accepted in order to downloade patches smoothly.

Everything was fine i.e. updating from WinXP Home to WinXP SP2 using CD method (skipping SP1a).

But when I did a full scan using Ad-aware SE ... this time I did not find Alexa tracking cookies / Data miner ... the scan turned up clean.

Questions.

1) Does it mean WinXP SP2 hide Alexa from other 3rd party scanners?

2) Does it mean WinXP SP2 has got rid of Alexa. Bear in mind, I did accept cookies when WindowsUpdate asked me.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chew

2. GForce

GForce Guest

Hi Chew,

*Supposedly*, the related htm is removed in sp2. Was it due to a fallout with Alexa?

GF

3. chew

chew Registered Member

Thanks for the GForce.

It has been "removed" but not permanently ... errmm ... there is always a danger of putting it back accidently ... hmmm ...

I sticking to Firefox though.

Cheers

Chewkw

4. GForce

GForce Guest

Anytime Chew. :)

GF

5. Hi ;)
    This Alexa thing... It only causes problems when using Internet Explorer, is that my understanding?!
    Thanks

6. GForce

GForce Guest

WonderingStranger,

As far as I know, Only if using "Show Related Links" from the tools menu in IE.
    The provided page explains various methods of suppression for anyone who hasn't made the leap of faith to sp2.

The choice is your's. :cool:

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.